Eye Care Community

Diagnosed with Myopic Macular Degeneration

Retina specialist visit yesterday found fluid at the back of my right eye after looking at it and running some tests.  He said at this point there is nothing to be done but monitor what progress going forward if any.  He felt any surgery at this point would be premature and do more damage then good.  Looking to get some feed back on if I should be doing anything else at this time.  I have a history of being very nearsighted, had cataract surgery with lens implants 8 yrs ago,  2 yrs ago this month I detached my retina in my left eye, was a long surgery, cause I went 5 days before seeing a DR and another 3 before surgery.  I have a buckle which complicated my eye movement and had strabismus surgery in May to straighten out my eye and help with depth perception and double vision. My medical team consists of two retina specialists, one being the surgeon on the detach, a strabismus specialist, and my regular eye DR.  Just want to  make sure I don't miss doing something proactive at this time. Also looking for some information on how this might progress.
unfortunately I can't offer insights as there are several places "fluid' might be developing. If it's around a retina hole or under the peripheral retina observation might be appropriate; if the fluid is in the macular that is more concerning and needs to be watched much closer. Your "team" will need to provide the information on location and type of fluid
Thank you for the response.  What I have noticed from the vision in that eye alone is that objects that I look at are elongated, when compared to looking at them with just the other eye.  I also believe this is the reason why at distance objects distort and start to double up.  I have sent an email through the medical portal for a more detailed description of what is happening, and hope to have that in a few days.  All of this happened rather rapidly as I saw him in August for my annual retina inspection with him and he did not see anything at that time.
Most likely that means the fluid is in your macula.  It is important to determine if the fluid is something like "cystoid macular edema" which can be watched or subretinal fluid due to myopic exudative 'wet' macular degeneration which generally need prompt injection of anti-VEGF medications (Avastine, Lucentis, Eyelea).
Since my retina specialist is the Chair for the department, I would hope his experience would be able to tell the difference between the two and that he also wants to see me back in 4 months would lead me to believe that it would be the macular edema. I am still waiting for the email confirmation with the details.  I would also like to determine if there is anything proactive I should be doing or taking.
I have residual cystoid macular edema in my LE following a vitrectomy/ERM peel performed in 2015 and a subsequent cataract removal in 2017. It has never been particularly symptomatic and my retina specialist, who I see every six months, has indicated that it is improving on its own without intervention.  
=
MrPresley,  Thanks for your response.  While I wait for a response from my specialist, I can only speculate on what's happening and the noticeable change in vision in my RE, which up until this point was my good eye.  :-)
Waiting is always difficult
In the middle and low degree of myopia, the fundus macula is generally normal, and macular degeneration will occur only in some patients with high myopia. Because the visual function is mainly in the macula, once macular degeneration occurs, vision will be greatly affected.
The response I received from the Dr is this - "The retina is myopic macular degeneration".  Not sure that gives me any more information then I already had.
Ask him if the fluid represents "wet (exudative) myopic macular degeneration"  If yes  "do I need to start treatment with anti-VEGF injections (avastin, lucentis, eyelea"
I sent the email off this morning, will wait to see what the response is.
Let us know