Aa
A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
22.1k Members

Difficulty with change in Prescription Help!

For the past 25 yrs I've had great difficulties getting new glasses as I am unfortunately overly sensitive to changes.  I'm about to throw away more money on another pair of glasses.  
My current glasses that I've been wearing for 10 yrs are (varilux comfort poly/ BC 5)
right:  -4.62 +1.50 x 085 +1.00
left:    -4.50 +1.50x 085 +1.00
The new prescrip is:
right: -4.75 +1.75 090 +1.50
left:   -4.75 +1.75 090 +1.50

Is this a big change and why can't anyone make me the lenses I'm comfortable with?
1 Responses
177275 tn?1511755244
There is virtually no difference between the old glasses and the new except the reading and intermediate part of the bifocal have been made stronger  to account for the loss of focus power as you age (presbyopia).

The problem is not with the many optometrists, ophthalmologists and opticians you've seen not giving you the proper prescription the problem is you and your adjustment to the glasses.  There is nothing strange or unsual about your glasses RX.  There is a very small number of people that can't adjust to bifocals, or trifocals, or no line progressives, or large grames or small frames or tilted lens, or lens frame curve (wrap) or certain types of lens like polycarbanate or high index lens or different base curves or coatings such as antireflective.

You may want to look into contacts or LASIK surgery or tell whomever makes your glasses about your adjustment problems and ask them to keep as much the same as possible when you make your choices about new glasses.

JCH MD
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511755244
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.