Does brimonidine tartrate really expire?

I have been taking brimonidine tartrate ophthalmic solution 0.15% for the last 5 years. I had lasik surgery and had some halos around lights at night time. Doctor prescribed this medicine and it works. He gave me a few bottles and after sometime of taking it it was expired. I only take it a couple times a month.  Still worked for me and no problems. So my question is does it really expire or is it just for the makers to make money? I live in Japan and my doctor is in canada. They dont sell this medicine here.
Thanks.
This issue has been debated for some time.  While the effect of the medicine may not decline, the sterility cannot be assured years after the expiration date.  Most pharmacists I have asked say the drop is good for 6 months past the expiration date, as long as the solution is not discolored or was exposed to extremes of temperature.
Thank you

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Forum

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.