Eye Care Community

Effect of high elevation/altitude on retina or IOP

I am curious if living or traveling at altitude has any effect on people who are at risk for retinal detachment or glaucoma, especially if someone arrives at high altitude quickly by plane rather than acclimating slowly. I recently read an article which said the same drug(Diamox) used to treat AMS(acute mountain sickness) is also used to treat glaucoma, so I was curious if altitude can cause glaucoma.
No association of altitude with retinal detachment or glaucoma.

Diamox for AMS has a different purpose and mode of action than for glaucoma.
Like Dr. Pernoud stated there is no relationship between altitude and rds or glaucoma.

However, if you've had a pneumatic retinopexy recently w/ SF6 or C3F8 you are not able to go to high altitudes or travel via plane as this will cause an increase in IOP.