Eye Care Community

Eye Socket Shrinking

I had my right eye Enucleated March 07'..... I wear a Prosthesis now, after the months  have past by I Find the eye socket substancialy has shrunk, I know this is normal and part of the healing, How long does the socket continue to shrink? should it slow down or stop any time soon? Just courious...I have to get Re-Fitted now,  and was hopeing someone knew the answer. I dont see my Occularist until next month, I know she should know, but I was hopeing for a quicker answer I guess. Thanks Kendra
You might want to see your Eye MD surgeon to look at the socket and be sure there is no sign of inflammation, infection, abnormal scarring, etc.

How much scarring and contraction occurs often depends on why the eye was removed. For things like alkali burn the contraction is a big problem while for intraocular tumors its not normally a problem at all.

JCH MD