Eye Care Forum

Eye damage risk from laser hair removal

Hello. I am not a doctor but I am really hoping to get some responses regarding potential eye damage when being treated with the Palomar Starlux laser for hair removal. I will try to keep this short.

Today I was being treated with this Laser and was wearing goggles to protect my eye. The opthamologist assisted was lasering an area on my stomach. She asked me a question about what area I wanted to have treated. I couldn't see well through the goggles so I took them off to point to the area thinking that she was through zapping me. Well, right as I looked down at the handpiece she zapped my stomach. I DID NOT HAVE MY EYE PROTECTION ON. I could see a bunch of red light get emitted. Now the laser was not pointed at my eyes but rather was pointed at my stomach. Still I could see the bright red light come out all around the point of the hand piece.

I am absolutely freaking out now worried that I may have done permanent damage to my eyes. Could someone please tell me if I might have indeed done significant and/or permanent damage to my eyes from this? This has happened a handful of times over the years but this is the first time that I was looking directly at the hand piece while it was being zapped (although the point was aimed at my stomach not my eyes).

Also over the years I have been treated in my beard area and in between the eyebrows. I always wore goggles but still would see incredibly bright flashes as the laser went off.

Could someone please tell me if I should be concerned?  I don't think that I notice any difference in my vision now but am worried that somehow I may have gotten damage that I will not notice until later.
Dear miller777,

Seek the care of an eyeMD and have your eyes checked to determine whether there is any damage that is not observable by you.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.