Eye Care Forum

Eye discoloration

I always had very white eyes..I have noticed in the recent years that the white part of my eyes has brown discolorations..some days its worse than others especially when i havent had enough sleep..when i lift my eyelid that area is still very white its just the visible area that has brown discoloration..i do have allergies once in a while. Opticians have told me in the past that i may need glasses to better my vision because i feel like am straining my eyes sometimes but i dont think this has anything to do with the discoloration..Visine works very well to clear the discoloration temporarily but i would like to know if there is a permanent solution to this problem..
Dear Val34,

I would recommend that you seek the care of your eyeMD to determine the cause of the discoloration.  An appropriate treatment can then be aimed at the cause rather than the use of visine, which temporarily constricts blood vessels and makes one eyes whiter.  It might be possible to prescribe some drops aimed at allergy.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.