Eye Care Forum

Eye problem in bright sunshine

Now that the weather is getting warmer, I'm having a problem I've noticed the last few of years - when I'm out in the sun even wearing dark sunglasses (which I usually do) my eyes hurt, actually ache, and get watery. (I'm in Germany so I'm not talking about strong Mediterranean sun!) One eye is worse than the other. I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago, but I don't think that's connected as I had noticed this even before that. My sunglasses are prescription, pretty dark, and supposedly have all the right UV protection. Have you any suggestions what could be causing this? It's enough to make me avoid going outside on sunny days - but we wait so long for the short summers here!

I do have an eye appointment scheduled in a couple of weeks, probably need to have the Yag laser - is it worth mentioning this to the doctor?

Thanks for your help.
If your posterior capsule is cloudy then it can be contributing to the light sensitivity. On the other hand some people are just very light sensitive especially light complected people,  light color iris (blue, gray, green) and people with big pupils.

Things that might help you a BIG HAT, goggle type sunglasses (example NOIR) that wrap around the side and over the top (any optical can order these) and getting heavily shaded sunglasses (normal block 75% of light you can get larger blockage) and possiblty polarized sunglasses.

JCH III MD
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.