Eye Care Community
22k Members

Eye trauma/torn conjunctiva

I was poked in the eye this afternoon, hard, by a wooden dowel.  My eye immediately began to release a mixture of tears and blood, and it was extremely painful.  However, the bleeding stopped very soon and the pain vanished a few hours later.  I can see spots of blood in the white of my eye, which I believe to be subconjunctival hemorrhaging.  There also appears to be a hole in the thin membrane covering my eye.  The tear is at the place of impact and is about twice the size of my pupil.  The eye is not sensitive to light, but I have noticed a slight decrease in my visual acuity.

I intend to seek medical help, but is there anything I can do in the meantime?  Will this permanently affect my vision?