Eye Care Community

Eyes Never Fully Recovered After Dilation

My issue is very similar to that discussed on the following posts here:
https://www.medhelp.org/posts/Eye-Care/Problems-after-dilation/show/318391
https://www.medhelp.org/posts/Eye-Care/Blurred-Visiton/show/626464#post_14310721

As with the above posts, when my eyes were dilated my close-up vision got blurry - which is normal. However my eyes never fully de-blurred. Its not as blurry as when the eyes were dilated, but everyhint now has a "fuzziness" to it - its very hard to focus.

I have asked my eye doctor about it a few times over the past 2 years since it happened, and he states that there has been no reports of issues, and that it was just a coincidence.

I'm thinking maybe the reason it hasn't been reported is due to doctors ignoring it due to there not being other reports?
Of course you are welcome to think whatever you wish. The facts are however that even the longest acting dilation drops (atropine 1%) which is not used for routine eye exams has worn off and been metabolized in 2-3 weeks.  If you note the above posting was 8 HOURS after dilation.  There are literally hundreds of millions of people that have been dilated and not a single one of them is the medication still around 2 years later.  In very rare instances in abnormal eyes dilation can provoke an attack of angle closure glaucoma but that is a dramatic syndrome with severe pain, blurred vision, redness, etc.

The reason your eyes are not as good for near vision is almost assuredly you are two years older. Our near vision growns steadily worse as we age, it starts to catch up with us age 38-45. It's called 'presbyopa'. You can read about it on wikipedia.  As you get older it will continue to get worse, that's why you see reading glasses in the drug store.
Thanks for taking the time to respond - it is appreciated.

I am not implying that the med is still in my system - as that would be ridiculous.

However, I am wondering if the drops somehow did some damage from just being used. I just find it odd that before my eye exam I'm able to read close up items (books, cell phone) with no issues, got the drops (it was the bottom of the container and I got bubbles and they had to get a new bottle), close up items got blurry (as expected), blurriness PARTIALLY clears up - resulting in needing to remove my glasses to look at close up items.

And not only that, but even things far away are hazy. In fact, after that exam my prescription was constantly fluctuating. When I got my new glasses things were blurry, they told me to wait a week to see if my eyes adjust, they didn't, they did another eye exam to find it changed, got new glasses, things were still blurry... wash rinse repeat. After the 3rd new pair of glasses we pretty much just gave up, and I have been suffering with a hazy world ever since.

I understand that its typically for people's eyes sight to change due to age - I am not arguing that point. But this wasn't some slow progression - it went from one afternoon being able to read close-up just fine, to the next morning not being able to.
The short answer is no your supposition in erroneous. However if you need reassurance see a different ophthalmologist Eye MD for a second opinion.
Why do you believe my supposition is erroneous?
Presbyopia the loss of ability to focus at near like many aging changes can come on slowly, so slowly they are barely noticed until a person can't hold a book far enough away from them to read "outgrowing your arms" or it can come on overnight in a person late 30's to early to mid/late 40's. Often this happens when there is a severe illness, a surgery, an emotional trauma such as divorce. I have a 55 year old patient that believes the reason he needs bifocals was a hernia operation he had at age 45 and after that he could not see at near.