Eye Care Community

Feels like something in my eye

This usually does nor come on immediately. It happens when I am using the computer, and sometimes when driving, watching a video or reading for extended periods of time.
    My ophthalmologist has diagnosed dry eye and prescribed artificial tears, but I am skeptical. It is only in the left eye and only when I focus. I can eliminate the problem by wearing an eye patch. Can you imagine what my employer would say first day on the job? Ho, Ho and a Bottle of Rum!
    There is a test for dry eye called the Schirmer test, among others. Might want to take this to rule it out. Don't know if there is a test for eye muscle fatigue, which is more what I suspect. Another physician (not an ophthalmologist) suggested the possibility of a nerve (leading to the eye) problem which could be detected by an MRI, if nothing else makes sense.
    Has anyone experienced this? If in the affirmative, what was your diagnosis and how did you get rid of the problem?
    I am thinking disability and/or workers comp (computer vision syndrome - CVS). Anyone would be crazy not to avoid additional pain, which could morph into permanent, 24-hour pain for the remainder of one's life. This might be worse than going blind.
Same here.  It started after I had cataract surgery a few months ago.  The doctor gave me Acular LS eye drops for the discomfort but could only use them for 4 days.  Going back for followup w/doc Monday.

My discomfort is similar to when I first put in contact lens.  Will follow your post.
I started noticing the discomfort in my left eye about 3 days after having laser surgery.  The "something in my eye" usually goes away eventually but while I am experiencing the discomfort, I am ready to pull my eye out.  I dig things into my eyelid, trying to make it go away.  This is a slow means of torture to say the least.  This last bout is leading to insanity so I am going to try to get into see an eye specialist again.  The last time I saw him he pulled the eyelid back and wasn't able to find anything.  The eye was good for almost 1/2 year from that time.  I sympathize with anyone experiencing this discomfort and I can only hope that there is a cure.  I also notice that prolonged staring into the computer at excel sheets, etc. has initiated the problem.  If anyone has any help for me I would be glad to hear from you.
Look up previous posts on dry eye on this forum.  All the info. is excellent.
FourEyes  You do not need to jump into a $1200 MRI. It is much easier, more productive and quicker to just get a second opinion if you are not satisfied with your Eye MDs diagnosis. You might see a neuro-ophthalmologist.  Find one at www.aao.org

JCH III MD
I thought I was the only one. I had cataract surgery when I was a baby and I am 25 years old, still dealing with the same issue. When I went to two different doctors, they pretty much treated me as if I didn't know what I was talking about, said there was nothing wrong, gave me eye drops, sent me home, and I felt like my visits were in vain. money wasted obviously, nothing helps!
I even looked in the mirror, stuck my finger in my eye, but no matter what, still feels like something is on my eye. Every time I blink, it hurts, and I just want to cry.
-