Eye Care Community

Femtosecond Laser Cataract Surgery

I am considering having cataract surgery using the femtosecond LenSX method.
If there are any in this forum who have experienced this method of surgery I would
be interested in their post-op outcomes and how the procedure went, in general.
Thank you very much for any input.
laura5121
I had cataract surgery in January using the femtosecond LenSX.  I am very happy with the results.

The fact that I have a very long axial length (mixed with other measurements) precluded me from having a toric lens (for astigmatism).  The laser made limbal relaxing incisions which left me with very, very little astigmatism.

For distance, there is always a margin of error, and since I have a long axial length, this margin of error was greater.  However, in the right eye, it turned out perfectly (no correction needed).  In the left eye, there is an overcorrection of .75 diopters.

In any case, since I needed glasses for slight double vision, that was corrected as well.
Was the ORA wavefront (aka Precision vision aka Optiplus) utilized in your LenSX procedure?
My surgeon used the LenSX for cataract surgery in my left eye last month.  These are the only things I can tell you....  

The actual surgery was uneventful.  As soon as the pupil came back to normal size I had to keep reminding myself I had had surgery.  Never any pain, dryness, scratchiness, but maybe it would have been the same regardless.

In the one week follow-up the optometrist noted that the incision where they removed the cataract had a nice clean perfect edge.  Does that matter?  Who knows.  

The surgeon said it was definitely superior, safer, more precise.  Of course he may have been biased.  I would suspect it would be better if your surgeon did not have as much experience the traditional way.  Mine had already done thousands the traditional way.

It cost an extra $1000 for each eye, but I figured it was a once in a lifetime thing, so I went for it.  It just made sense that it surely wouldn't be worse than using knives.  I will request it again for the right eye.

One funny thing during surgery:  At one point I swear I noticed seeing a bunch of tiny white squares in a grid.  I know sometimes they use the laser to break the cataract up into a grid of squares before vacuuming.  But I figured you wouldn't be able to see this.  Was I dreaming this?  Ha!
I have no idea if they used the ORA wavefront.
Hi Nancy:
Thanks for your response. I wondered if the area where the laser procedure takes place is in the same room where the phako procedure and lens implant takes place, and if they take place in separate areas, how do they transport you to the other area?  Also
was your topical anesthesia administered by your MD or an anesthesiologist?  If by the
latter, I'm sure that increased the fee considerably.  Very glad your LenSX procedure went so well.  Did you have a mono IOL or a multifocal IOL?  I want to go with the mono's.  Thanks again for your input.
In my case, it was done in two separate rooms.  They transported me on a type of chair/stretcher to the other room.

I think it was the doctor doing the surgery who administered the topical anesthesia, but I would not swear to it.

Maybe Nancy_in_GA remembers.