Eye Care Community

Fire ant bite on white part of my eyeball

I was driving and felt a little twich in my left eye, I reached up and quickly wiped my eye.  Almost immediately I felt a sharp stabbing pain followed by intense burning.  I managed to get to the shoulder of the road and park, looked in my mirror and saw a small spot of blood on the left side of of my eyeball.  I didn't see anything else, but then felt something in my lower eyelid, pulling it out I saw a black speck, got it out and realized it was a now dead fire ant.  The pain subsided and I was able to continue my trip.  It's now been 14 hours and the eye still hurts somewhat and is feeling rather dry.  It's Saturday, do I need to treat this as urgent or can I do something to take care of it?
That’s brutal, I’m not qualified to give medical advise but Dr. Hagan monitors these threads often.
It is unlikely that the bite will do anything serious to your eye since you got the fire ant out.  Problems are mainly when the insect is left in the eye or when larger insects like wasps leave a stinger in the cornea. Using artificial tears and using cool compresses are likely all that need to be done. If you eye is more painful or vision blurred then you may want to call an Eye MD  or visit emergency room.  Most people with this type of insect injury are back to normal withing 24-48 hrs.