Eye Care Community

Flashes in Eye

I have been seeing geometric flashes in my right eye towards the top to centre of my vision field. I, however, DO NOT have floaters, loss of vision in one half of the visual field, loss of peripheral vision, visual disturbance, hazy vision (which I know is associated with retinal detachment/ tear). Its just this occassional flashes of black in a shape of a cross with coloured borders.
This has been discussed many times. Use the search feature and archives and read about "TIAs" (transient ischemic attacks) and "eye migraines" and "ophthalmic migraines"

See an ophthalmologist Eye MD and have a physicial exam by your family MD

JCH MD
Many thanks.
you're welcome. If you're young and healthy these are almost always eye migraines (no headache or mild headache).
JCH MD
I really to hope so. I am only 30. Healthy I guess. Have book an appointment with an eye specialist. If its only eye migraines, what are my treatment options?
Discuss that with the Eye MD.  Very simply: 1. avoid triggers such as certain foods, certain wines, etc  2. Some people are able to abort and attack with asprin and caffeine (coffee)  3. Rarely do they occur often enough to need medication 4. If they do there are anti-migraine medication to try and prevent them.
JC MD
Many thanks. Just came home from the specialist. She said my retina is perfect and like you have said, it might be retinal migraines. Or just the gel pulling away from the retina.