Gray spot in the white of my toddlers eye

My daughter who is 3 has a gray colored spot in her right eye on the white part of her eyeball. We went to her pediatrician yesterday and was told that it could be melanoma?!? I am taking her to see a pediatric optometrist this Friday, but I want to know how it is possible to have melanoma on your eye, and what other diagnosis could there be for this spot. Also what test will they run and if it is melanoma, how will they treat it. My daughter is white, and has very fair skin. This is the reason that it concerned the Dr. so much. She said that it is unusual for white, fair complected people to have pigmentation in their eyes. Please help to answer some of these questions. Thanks
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Dear ntilley,

I would recommend that you take your daughter to a pediatric eyeMD to determine the appropriate diagnosis and obtain immediate medical care.  Other types of tumors are more common than melanoma in children and the cause of “whitish” reflex.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Forum

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.