Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

How long does it take for Ocular Herpes to fully heal

I was diagnosed with ocular herpes 12 days ago.  I was  prescribed  Boro-Scopol N plus an antiviral salbe.  After a week, I was told it was not fully healed, and to just continue with the antiviral salve.  The pupil in the effected eye is still slightly dialated and my vision is still a little blurry.  Is this normal?  How long can it take for the herpes outbreak to heal?  Also, and advise on dealing with a recurrence?  
6 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
233488 tn?1310693103
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Are you talking about Herpes Zoster or Herpes Simplex of the eye?

JCH MD
Helpful - 0
My eye doctor only said it was a herpes virus.  On the paperwork she gave me to give to my health insurance she wrote "herpes dermatritca" (I might have mispelled it).  Thanks.
Helpful - 0
Just researched the medicine I was prescribed (acic-opthal) is used to treat herpes simplex.  Thanks again!
Helpful - 0
233488 tn?1310693103
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
If you researched you will see that there are many types of herpes simplex and many forms of eye problems so it is impossible to generalize. There is herpes simplex keratitis primary infection, secondary infection, geographic ulcers, keratouveitis, etc.Some forms of H simplex eye disease go on for years.

The very simplest form clears in 2-3 weeks but has a 50% chance of recurrence within 5 years. You will need to get your specifics from your ophthalmologist.

JCH MD
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your time and knowledge.
Helpful - 0
233488 tn?1310693103
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Best of luck. The treatment of all forms of eye herpes simplex have improved dramatically over the last 5-10 years.
JCH MD  
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community

Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511755244
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.