How long does it take for Ocular Herpes to fully heal

I was diagnosed with ocular herpes 12 days ago.  I was  prescribed  Boro-Scopol N plus an antiviral salbe.  After a week, I was told it was not fully healed, and to just continue with the antiviral salve.  The pupil in the effected eye is still slightly dialated and my vision is still a little blurry.  Is this normal?  How long can it take for the herpes outbreak to heal?  Also, and advise on dealing with a recurrence?  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Are you talking about Herpes Zoster or Herpes Simplex of the eye?

JCH MD
Helpful - 0
My eye doctor only said it was a herpes virus.  On the paperwork she gave me to give to my health insurance she wrote "herpes dermatritca" (I might have mispelled it).  Thanks.
Helpful - 0
Just researched the medicine I was prescribed (acic-opthal) is used to treat herpes simplex.  Thanks again!
Helpful - 0
If you researched you will see that there are many types of herpes simplex and many forms of eye problems so it is impossible to generalize. There is herpes simplex keratitis primary infection, secondary infection, geographic ulcers, keratouveitis, etc.Some forms of H simplex eye disease go on for years.

The very simplest form clears in 2-3 weeks but has a 50% chance of recurrence within 5 years. You will need to get your specifics from your ophthalmologist.

JCH MD
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your time and knowledge.
Helpful - 0
Best of luck. The treatment of all forms of eye herpes simplex have improved dramatically over the last 5-10 years.
JCH MD  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community