Eye Care Community

How long does redness last after Pterygium surgery?

Hello, I had a small pterygium removed 5 weeks ago, using the amniotic graft method.  It has been 5 weeks and my eye is still very sensitive and the inner corner of my eye is very red.  It looks worse than before I had the surgery.  Also, you can still see where the graft was tucked in.  When will the redness subside and when will the graft blend with rest of eye so it doesn't look like a big bump?  My doctor said that should have happened a couple weeks ago so now I am getting worried.  Thank you.
There are several discussions about this type of surgery on the forum and you can use the search feature to pull up and read.  Almost all are about how long it takes to heal and how red and irritated the eye looks and feels.  Also these are so individual and unique that it is impossible to generalize.  OFTEN: it takes 3-6 months for the surface of the eye to whiten and flatten.
Thank you so much- just read some discussions on this but could not find any on how long for surface of eye to flatten, so I very much appreciate your response.  I’m ok with waiting as long as it does some day flatten out!  
The thing that will help most but needs to be monitored carefully are the steroid eye drops. Do confirm closely with your surgeon
Hello, yes I am currently now on 1 drop a day of pred forte for 2 more weeks, and then he said to use 1 drop every other day for another 2 weeks, and then stop.  Tried using Lotemax but it made my eye super itchy and irritated.  Thank you so much.
Best of luck
Thanks Dr.  One more question - is there a chance it could stay red/irritated forever or does it usually always heal in 6-12 months?  Just thought I’d be more far along at 5 week point.   Thanks
It never heals ‘fast enough’. In rare cases revisions or excesion of excess tissue is done but that is the exception rather than the rule.
Hello again- I went to get a second opinion yesterday as it is now almost 7 weeks and no improvement.  This doctor suggested that I am not healing well due to my dry eye and to try punctual plus and Xiidra eye drops to help recovery.  Does this sound reasonable?  I have tried Xiidra before and it just makes my eye more red and stings.  Thanks!
Punctual plugs. Yes reasonable. More frequent use of non-preserved artificial tears yes.  Xiidra: No especially if you tried it and it caused redness and irritation.  Outlandishly expernsive and takes 4 months to full engage.  For long term severe dry eyes restasis works much better and is much less expensive but it takes 4-6 months to ‘kick in”
Ok great, thank you again - very helpful to get your opinion!
Best of luck