Aa
A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
22.2k Members

I'm worried about my corneal abrasion.

My eye was scratched like 3 days ago and they said it should be healed within 2 or 3 days. This is the 3rd day and I have 2 more days to take the drops. I still am experiencing a little pain, my eye is still red and swollen. Also, my vision is blurry. Please help. I have never been more worried in my life.
1 Responses
177275 tn?1511755244
Corneal abrasions do not heal as fast as most people think.  The outer layer of the cornea (epithelium) is held on to the middle layer (stroma) by vertical pieces of tissue like tie rods hold a house on the foundation. They are called hemidesmosomes.  They take best case 6 weeks to reform. So the cornea is not as strong as before the abrasion for 6 weeks. Part of the cornea can tear off (recurrent corneal erosions).   Our ophthalmology office generally examines patients every day till the outer epithelial layer is smooth. So you should be seeing an Eye MD ophthalmologist or at least a non-MD optometrist daily. If you were treated at an ER you need to get in to see Eye MD or O.D.   The outer layer can also heal faulty and this can only be determined by the use of the specialized eye exam instruments like eye slit-lamp (biomicroscope)
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511755244
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.