Is it safe to fly with vitreous detachment?

Vitreous detachment and flying -

I started seeing light flashes in one eye in February. After consulting an ophthalmologist, it turns out I am experiencing vitreous detachment, but no retinal tearing or detachment. As of yesterday, I am still seeing flashes, particularly in the late evening (perhaps I only notice them more because of the light conditions).

Is flying a concern in my case? Could it precipitate a tear or detachment due to the changes in air pressure? Particularly since cabin pressure decreases during the climb only to increase again during descent.

While I have become gotten used to the idea of what is occurring in my eye, I am concerned about aggravating the situation through my actions.

We can't do everything.  You need to call the ophthalmologist that examined your eyes and ask her/him specifically. Generally flying with PVD not a problem half the people over 50 on the plane have PVDs. The problem is with gas or air in the eye post retina/macula surgery.
I have macular pucker in my right eye and I'm going to fly in late4 May, and have not been advised by my retinal specialist to avoid doing so. As Dr. Hagan posted, the only time I know of when it's prohibited is when a gas bubble that has been used in intraocular eye surgery still remains. I was told about that when I had such surgery performed with a gas bubble and was given a wrist band to inform medical/ER personnel to not administer nitrous oxide should I have had to go to such a facility (which thankfully I did not or have not).
As always thanks for the comments.

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community