Aa
A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
21.9k Members

"Kaleidoscope eye"

Hi - I am a 58yo male and wear multifocal specs and use computers a lot in my work. For several years I have experienced bouts of a particular disturbance in both eyes at the same time. It starts out as a small prism like effect which gradually spirals in my vision - then after a few minutes it slowly dissipates. The effect really isnt in my eyesight as it is still there when I close my eyes and cannot be blocked out. I sit quietly, avoid light and have a drink of water during the episodes. I dont experience any especial pains such as migraines etc and seem to fully recover. I think it may be related to lack of electrolytes and mild dehydration but would like some guidance onthe possible causes. I know of only one other person who has the same symptoms but hers goes on to be a migraine. Any thoughts please?
90 Responses
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
That is a classical description of eye migraine (often has no headache) but in a small percentage it can be due to diesease of the brain, heart and blood vessels.

Use the search feature, archives and health topics to review the many discussions of ophthalmic migraine.

Then make an appointment with an Eye MD for an exam and to rule out eye migraine or transient ischemic attack.

JCH III MD
752584 tn?1233697582
Tonight I had the same thing happen. 2 days ago I had a brain angiogram after having been in an RTA 4 months ago with serious head injuries. The results came back fine, with no aparent weaknesses. I spoke to my cousin who also had a brain angio before Xmas & she has these visual episodes semi frequently. I have no idea whether to be worried, contact the neurosurgery dept where I had it done, or just get on with things. Ive never had anything like this before. Hmmm... Any ideas?
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
The approach to this is ONE rule out organic disease of eye, brain, heart and blood vessels.  If negative TWO make diagnosis of migraine (if not headache) eye migraine if headache then classic migraine.  TREAT MIGRAINE if frequent attacks.

JCH MD
752584 tn?1233697582
I spoke to the doctor who carried out the Angio & he refused to link the Angio procedure I'd had with the visions I had 3 days later. This may have been easier to accept if my cousin, after her angiograms, had not had exactly the same visions. I was just concerned there may be a weakness after my Angio. I have an appointment with an Eye consultant on Thursday although Im not sure he will be able to shed any light on the subject.
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I would say that if the symptoms occured within 24 hours of an angiogram then that might be the cause but 3 days later I would agree with what you were told. No likely.
JCH MD
I've been having these same "visions" for years and each time I ask my eye Dr. about it he  dismisses it and says it's nothing. Mine don't swirl around my eye but stay to the edge of my periphery and appear as long sqiggiley kaleidoscope shapes. Happens in both eyes only rarely at the same time. They last anywhere form 10 to 60+ minutes. Is there ANYTHING I can do about them? Medications, Supplements, etc?
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511758844
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.