"Kaleidoscope eye"
Hi - I am a 58yo male and wear multifocal specs and use computers a lot in my work. For several years I have experienced bouts of a particular disturbance in both eyes at the same time. It starts out as a small prism like effect which gradually spirals in my vision - then after a few minutes it slowly dissipates. The effect really isnt in my eyesight as it is still there when I close my eyes and cannot be blocked out. I sit quietly, avoid light and have a drink of water during the episodes. I dont experience any especial pains such as migraines etc and seem to fully recover. I think it may be related to lack of electrolytes and mild dehydration but would like some guidance onthe possible causes. I know of only one other person who has the same symptoms but hers goes on to be a migraine. Any thoughts please?
I have had this going on for a few months now.  Today seems to be much worse.  So far I have had 3 episodes.  Like everyone else...no pain just annoying.  I wish I could figure out what to do about it.  
i have had this three times in my life today at age 60 but the other two when i was a teen ager then a twenty 8 yr. old they are always painless and interesting my old opthomologist said they were spiralling coen chyma or such to take some brandy and relax they were caused by high stress today i was ultimately majorly stressed alas i believe it is just an eye migraine and since no problems for all this time no physiological origin ....
I saw these circular prisims when I changed my blood pressure meds...I lowered my dose....pressure went up to 150 from 109 where is usually is...as soon as I took my old BP pill (Stronger)...it went away...   so that leads me to believe one of the reasons for this is high blood pressure
I am a 58 year old male. I have had kalidiscope effect in the left eye then in the right for almost 20 years ever since my vision started to go down hill. I was always told it was the cones and rods breaking down.
This is the best explanation that I have found.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scintillating_scotoma
I never knew cannabis oil was indeed wonderful and very effective in the treatment of cancer "if not by the government and so called rules to regulate cannabis dad would still have been alive. Thanks to the new policy of legalizing cannabis in my state and have even lost my wife's kidney cancer, and it was really shocked and surprised when I see a lot of documentary on how the cannabis oil had helped many people to whom His family thought they never could do next undergoing several "Chemo" from the department of my heart, and I have to say a word of appreciation to Dr. Brown Nelson for timely intervention in the lives of my wife suffering from kidney cancer. As I write this testimony in this blog my wife is so strong and healthy even though you have not completed the total dosage "for cannabis and medical consultation opportunity and get in touch with him if you are a cancer patient through their email: (***@****) so you can lit more details

Treatment Regine:
I have a pretty big tolerance for marijuana, so I started off with a full grain of rice sized amount of oil instead of a half grain. I gradually increased the dosage every night until I reached a full gram each night. The standard protocol for Rick Simpson Oil is ingesting a total of 60 grams over the course of 2-3 months, but I had 70 grams in total for safe measure. I used the excess as a topical skin care treatment, attacking the visible brown spots on my face and neck.

3 months later, my cancer was in full remission. Within 4 months, I am cancer-free and officially received a clean bill of health from my doctors. What they don’t know is that the majority of my treatment was using the Rick Simpson Oil. I did use some of the medication they prescribed, but it was in combination with the oil.

I am elated I want to continue sharing with people who are experiencing what I went through that there is absolutely hope and a cure out there. They just need to be proactive and aggressive with treatment, not wait until it is too late. Get your medication at Phoenix Tears via Email: (***@****)

In addition to being an effective cancer fighter, there are some nice side effects that come from using the Rick Simpson oil, for instance, I no longer need to take any pain killers. Just one or two drops of the oil will ease the pain and help you sleep like a baby. Best of all, its natural . . . Thanks to all the staff at Amsterdam’s Garden who guided me throughout this journey. You guys are awesome!
I've read through the posts and I come to believe that for the no pain people having kaleidoscope  optical aura issues - its stress induced - and stress induced sometimes from blood pressure  but definitely stomach/intestinal linked to some part of the brain that affects the optics. Its not normal but my intuition leads me to conclude that its viral - possibly likes worms that animals gets but hard to detect why - its been with me for over 30 years. I just rest to have it go away  but I can feel the pressure in my forehead and when I drink water it goes away faster with some rest.
I had just had a swirly experience in my left eye which scared the hell out of me.  I work with computers all day and have just been looking at a colleagues screen, then I went back to mine at reception and verything was swirly and kaliedoscope.  It lasted about 20 minutes.
If this is the first time for this you should report it to your personal physician. If you are young, healthy, especially if female this statistically is most likely a migraine variant usually "a migraine with aura" often this have no or only mild headaches.  If they become more common or new symptoms appear you will need to see your personal physician and an ophthalmologist. If you are female and on birth control pills you should report this to whomever prescribed the BCP.
I get the wavy kalidoscope vision . It is all different colors starts in center constantly moving around and then it moves and then it works its way up and disappears and in both eyes at the same time..  I have gone to the eye doctor rulled out eye desease..He said migrane and my brother gets the same thing . He has had all the test and nothing found. The doctor says stress.
This recently happened to me for the first time.  I have a history of migraines, but nothing like this.  I am at a stressful point in life and also 24wks pregnant.  I was relaxing having some late night computer time when this visual disturbance began.  It was slower and much like a crystal drill bit or helix in shape but very prismic and it began to be more intense, growing and gaining in kaleidoscopic nature.  I couldn't focus on anything in the room or the screen.  To read I had to cheat back and forth from a focal point to peripheral vision, trying to catch what I could in between.  In further intensity, it began to include flashing light, almost like you see when a ceiling fan passes round and round in front of a light.  I found the top comments here and a few other things, but couldn't focus enough to read them all.  It lasted 1 hr,  followed by ears ringing, and a weakness of extremities.  I got up to go to the restroom and my legs felt "new" beneath me.  I had to think harder to make them work.  I then went to bed, but when I awoke, I still had off and on blurry vision, dizziness, extreme pressure in my temples (no pain though, not a typical migraine effect, also no light sensitivity) and slight ringing in my ears.  After 9hrs in the ER, they transferred me to a different hospital where under the care of a neurologist I had blood drawn, fluids, and completed an MRI.  The overall prognosis was that I had experienced an ocular migraine and that I needed to follow up with my eye dr for full exam and glaucoma check.  Also, that my B12 was low and I was anemic.  When I looked up B12 deficiency, many of these symptoms came up, so I'm wondering if that was the trigger.  Anyway, per dr orders, in addition to my prenatal, I have added 2,000mcg or 2mg of B12 daily.  The incident happened late friday night, with lasting symptoms all the way until now on Tues.  I spent Sat, Sun, and Mon in the hospital.  The ride home made me nauseous and dizzy, and fifteen minutes after arriving home on Monday, a classic migraine began and lasted all night (pain, light/sound sensitivity and pain, pressure) Anyway, I started the B12 today and hope that helps.  I see my eye Dr. tomorrow as well.  The visuals were scary in that if I had been doing something like driving in heavy traffic I wouldn't have been able to function.  I hope to remedy them completely.
do things seem brighter?  A little surreal?  I experienced this the first time today, it only lasted for under 5 minutes.  It seem to sphere around my peripheral vision and the squiggly lines seemed to be moving, like rays, but no color, just brighter.
I am 52 yr old female and had this happen for the first time today.  It scared me b/c I know it wasn't my eyes.  It was in both eyes in the periphery to my left (meaning the outside of my left eye and inside of my right eye).  It was a semi-circle of prismatic distortion and was still there when one or both eyes were closed.  It didn't affect my ability to function but made me think I was having a brain aneurysm or something.  I was in a bad car accident several months ago and have some pretty bad whiplash giving me more frequent and severe headaches.  It definitely helps to think that others are having the same effects and have had it for years with no major ill-effects.  Thank you for the reassurance and I plan on going to my pain-management doctor to see if I need to do anything further.  BTW, while typing this, the effects have gone away.  Weird!!
Hi, Very interesting that you mentioned intestines.  I'm almost positive that the kaleidoscope vision followed by a killer migraine yesterday (Sat) evening was caused by something involved with my (first) colonoscopy I had on Friday morning.
  I am truly healthy 53 year old woman.  Felt great right after colon procedure as well as most of the day Saturday.  Approx an hour after prisms appeared in the left side vision of both of my eyes, my head started aching then it travelled to the back of my neck.  Definite feelings of nausea.  I just took acetaminophen and went to bed.  Feel ok today, but a little tentative this morning -kind  of waiting to see if it might come back.
The only other time I had a migraine (mostly in my left eye and forehead area) was several years ago.  I had eaten only shelled sunflower seeds for breakfast (not exactly healthy) and headache started 30 minutes later.  Totally debilitating.  Husband took me to urgent care where -after waiting an hour for dr- I vomited (sorry, yuck) but immediately felt better.  Felt fine, really.  Left urgent care, took a nap, have avoided sunflower seeds and have had no other migraines other than yesterday's.  Attributed the previous migraine to an allergy to the seeds.
I definitely feel this latest migraine is connected to the colonoscopy and I plan to tell my Dr. when I follow up this week.  
Wow I'm so glad to have found this sight, this pattern with a prism that moved outward over 15-20 minutes happened to me yesterday for the first time and if I hadn't found this I would have been much more stressed.  The intestine idea is very interesting to me.  I had just eaten some herb popcorn before it happened and then I got on the computer.  I know I suffer problems with overall joint and muscle inflammation, everything muscular has a dull ache.  This indicates leaky gut and food allergies which I am addressing. I have no history of migraines.  I'm curious with other readers,  are any of you on Wellbutrin by chance which I also just restarted, it was not a problem before or can you see a link with intestinal issues, chronic fatigue, fibromialga, food allergies?  Thanks for sharing.
It never fails with me SheriC59, right after a experience the kaleidoscope effect comes the worse part, always related to my digestive system, I get severe headaches, stomach pains, severe intestine discomfort and it all relates to something I ate 3 days ago like clockwork since 1988 but I can't figure out what element causes this situation.
With me it's a digestive system disorder that I've had since a child.
I just had this happen today for the first time and it sounds exactly like your description.  It was on the way home from a wine tasting so I wondered if it was from the wine (sulfites?).  It went away in about ten minutes and I had no headache or any other symptoms.  
I had ocular migraines years ago and saw a Neurologist, in Atlanta, who told me what it was that I was experiencing. I didn't get the headache but felt somewhat drained at the end of each episode. At the time I was seeing a dot which got larger as is came toward me. Usually it was in the shape of the letter C. The edge of this C was shimmering and made up of a series of triangles. The center was usually black and as it got closer the vision was blocked out in that area. If I was driving I had to pull off the road until it was over. The episodes ended when the figure came to my eyes, blocking my vision. Then Poof, just like that, it would be gone.
My neurologist told me to try taking a baby aspirin daily. I did and the ocular migraines stopped. I took the baby aspirins for several years then stopped and the ocular migraines returned. I am back on the baby aspirin once a day and no more ocular migraines. I hope it works for you.
Aspirin at first onset works for many migrainers.  Migraines generally get better with time and most people eventually outgrown them.

I am actively involved in acute migraine research and this article may be of interest to those that have migraine or physicians that treat migraines:

http://www.medhelp.org/neurology/articles/Acute-Migraines-Relieved-By-Beta-Blocker-Eye-Drops/1574

JCH MD
I'm a 28 year old average height, average weight, healthy female. I am a non smoker, and haven't touched marajuanna in 8 years. I have never used a recreational drug.  I have a desk job where I work at a computer for 8+ hrs a day. Low stress.
I had my first episode of "kaleidoscope vision" this evening and panicked until I read through this thread.  I had played a high intensity game of volleyball this evening in a very hot, humid and very bright gymnasium.  I'll be honest this is the hardest I've played in a long time and the most I've sweat in a long time.  After the game we went to the bar, had a pitcher of water and a drink.  I enjoy a one shot beverage or a glass of wine 2-3 times a week.
I was fine during the game and at the bar after. It wasn't until I got in my car to go home that I noticed my vision was a little blurry in my right eye.  I had LASIK vision correction 2 years ago and do see occasional floaters, blurs and flashes so I brushed it off. Gone home just fine. Got ready for bed and noticed a kaleidoscope effect on my right periferal side - I panicked and watched it get bigger as I looked around, rubbed my eye, checked a mirror.   I started googling and read about the migraines and found this thread. I laid down and kept reading and became a little calmer to know I wasn't alone. After about 15 minutes it went away.  Whew!!!! I'm betting it's stress induced, dehydration, electrolyte imbalance, and lack of sleep.  Stay healthy friends.
You need to monitor this situation. This is especially true I you take birth control pills or hormones. If you have another one of these then an exam by an ophthalmologist and an exam by your personal physician are mandatory.  Many people have one of these and then not another or not have next one for many years.  However where they are coming on frequently other causes need to be exclude.

JCH MD
Just experienced this "kaleidoscope vision".  I'm 61 year female in good health.  I take no medicine.  I do wear bifocals.  However very stress today as my mom just died.  It went on for about 10 minutes.   Really unnerve me.   Took my glasses off to see if it would stop and still continued.  The prism was on the peripheral of the both eyes.  They started small and then got larger before they disappeared.  I don't get migraines though do get headaches sometimes.  I did take some medicine just in case.  Feeling very tired, drain now.    Went on line and found this discussion thread.  Glad I found it as it made me feel that I wasn't going crazy.  I also am hoping it just stress related.  Going to get some rest.
Caleasha: Sorry to hear about your mom. If you have had these in the past or been diagnosed with migraines in the past the chances are this was an episode of eye migraine. However if you have not had these diagnoses and the problem re-occurs you will need to see your personal physician and an Eye MD ophthalmologist to rule out disease of the eyes, brain, heart and blood vessels before a DX of eye migraine can be made. In new onset of these symptoms without previous migraine hx transient ischemic attack (TIAs) and other problems need to be excluded. If you are otherwise healthy your personal MD may want to see if you experience another episode under less stressful circumstances.  JCH MD
Mine starts as a little dot then grows into a C shape then disappears. When it gets the peripheral part is when I get sick to my stomach. I have had them happen infrequently over the last 20 years with no known trigger. I will have to watch my water and get my BP lower and see how that works.  
bobn323:  You may want to print the article linked below out and take it to your physician that manages your migraines.

JCH MD
I have the same prisms in my right eye. I am blind in my left eye. I have been to many Drs who say nothing. Tonight I also had what I thought was a gnat flying around the outer portion of my eye, which I could see when I closed my eye... that and the prism  at the same time. It made it almost impossible to see. I sat down and closed my eyes for about 1/2 hour before they let up.
The "gnat" was not part of an ophthalmic migraine but likely a floater. Since you only have one eye with vision I would suggest you see an ophthalmologist to examine your retina. this is especially important if you have any momentary, bright flashes of light or any loss of peripheral vision that does not clear.  
JCH MD
Thank you for this page. This year I was given a diangosis of lung cancer and wondered if it is related as I have also experienced this "C" prism effect in both eyes this year. CT scans show no new growths apart from the two that we know about.
Glad it was helpful. Discuss with your ophthalmologist. good luck in your treatment. JCH MD
Wow this is amazing to see so many people with a similar experience, looks like there is few common denominators here, Computers, stress, 50+. Second time it happens for me, first time was very scary as I was on my lunch break and had to return to work but had no idea if I would pass out as a result. It did go way eventually with a head ache at the end but had no idea of going online at the time or getting it checked by my GP. A year on and this is the second time I'm having it and decided to go online and do some digging and came across that page. Thanks for the share and the help
Sure happy to be helpful. I have family members with onset of eye migraines early 40's  Just remember to have family MD and ophthalmologist do an evaluation

JCHMD
I see a lot of people with the exact same problem BUT there's no answers to the problem. Does anyone know what causes these? Because I've had them in the past and am having one now but I don't have a headache.

Answers.

I find that my cause is from being in front of a computer screen too long.
That is a classical description of eye migraine (often has no headache) but in a small percentage it can be due to diesease of the brain, heart and blood vessels.

Use the search feature, archives and health topics to review the many discussions of ophthalmic migraine.

Then make an appointment with an Eye MD for an exam and to rule out eye migraine or transient ischemic attack.

Migraines tend to get better as a person gets older and around 40 the nausea, vomiting, sensitivity to light and sound get better and the migraine becomes mostly seeing visual phenomena especially dark spots and shimmering "rick-rack".

JCH III MD
hi i was reading storeys at a UFO web site one night in the dark and the letters were in red after trying too read the red words i said holy cow the red words from the site is bothering my eyes! so i turned the computer off and then the ziggy kaleidoscope thing was in my right eye  best i can describe its like if you look at the sun an then close your eyes an still see  it?  it lasted for half hour i was scared it wouldn't go away it did but now i get it evy now and then one time 3 months later sometimes twice in one day?   i keep getting repeats of the ziggy triangle coloured kaleidoscope  it its been 7 years now no change or headaches i think its permanent i really believe its from the red words form computers if its in red dont read it!! its the source i think
hi i was reading storeys at a UFO web site one night in the dark and the letters were in red after trying too read the red words i said holy cow the red words from the site is bothering my eyes! so i turned the computer off and then the ziggy kaleidoscope thing was in my right eye  best i can describe its like if you look at the sun an then close your eyes an still see  it?  it lasted for half hour i was scared it wouldn't go away it did but now i get it evy now and then one time 3 months later sometimes twice in one day?   i keep getting repeats of the ziggy triangle coloured kaleidoscope  it its been 7 years now no change or headaches i think its permanent i really believe its from the red words form computers if its in red dont read it!! its the source i think.

Really a strange theory. Sounds like something you read at a UFO web site.
hello all, i came here after googling. i'm experiencing the same symptoms as many above. squiggly kaleidoscope lines that distort my vision. i experience it after an extremely intense session at the gym sometimes. i'm already being treated for high blood pressure and i'm almost sure mine comes on after exerting myself. my blood pressuer likely sky rockets during an intense set, and then the "effects' come on after i leave the gym when i'm presuming my blood pressure drops back down. just posting because i found it somewhat comforting to hear others experiencing the same problem. and just to throw up the possibility that it could be a rapid change in blood pressure that's causing it for some people. for example after sitting at a computer for a long time, and then rising rather quickly. thanks to all for posting. i clearly need to pay more attention to my blood pressure issue. btw i am 45 yo
=
i've been experiencing this since an auto accident in 2007, i have no idea what brings it on, but it's impossible to say which eye, because both are affected. open or closed it's there. it's starts out as a little multi colored spot in a random area of my vision that looks like a mosaic window of bright kaleidoscope colors then it opens up slowly and eventually opens all the way up and is gone. while it's happening i have no vision in the area of the colors, and none if it's a complete circle until it opens up enough to get a small window of vision in the center.  I get a dull, thick feeling in my head afterwards. the eye doctor told me in 2007 that it was cramping in the optic nerve due to the concussion that i sustained. I can go weeks with nothing and then it will happen 2 or 3 times in a week.
I've been having something like kaleidoscope images for a couple of months now. Mine are a partial "wheel of fortune" but in black and white, lasting 10-20 minutes. Always on the left peripheral side of both eyes. No headache after.  I'm 65 and female. I recently had a thorough eye exam and the Dr referred me for a carotid doppler thinking I might be having TIA's. It is scheduled for June 7.
Also, I don't notice them or haven't had them except while watching TV - a flat screen led.
=
WTF is the point of your = comments?
=  have read posting and have no comment
I just started experiencing it for the first time....I'm 33 female....no real health problems other than iron deficiency. It was a triangular mess inside of a line??? Kinda like a kaleidoscope....never had it before? What the hell is this? =/
=
I have something in my eyesight too, I'm 13 and for as many years as I can remember I get orange and blue vertical stripes through my vision if I focus on something, I don't know what it is and the doctors can't say what it is either, I feel like our two eye problems are connected
=
Wow. So glad I found this thread. Same here. Shimmering "c" pattern, prismatic in color. Both eyes.  It expanded until covered 1/4 vision, then dissipated. No pain, no headache.
Off the chart stress 2 years straight. Not relating any sob stories here - everyone has stress.
53, male, work with computers all day for 20+ years.
Stomach pain center of chest for 10 months. Endoscopy, colonoscopy, cardio CT, abdominal CT, and just about every other test you can do - all normal or insignificant findings (lucky!). Tried no gluten, no sugar, no carb, etc. (hey, been at this for 10 months - tried everything for 6+ weeks each. No change.
Only posting here to add to the data.  Pfizer, you listening? One $80 dollar pill a day that changes intestinal flora thereby curing migraines. What do you think?  Better yet, what do your researchers think?
You're welcome.
=
Hey countless other weird eye disturbance folk!
Cannot express how relieved I am to search the net for 10 seconds and straight away stumble upon this thread. Exactly the same as everyone else is describing with no pain or warning, the zig zag circle that gradually gets bigger, turns into a 'C' then disappears off to the left.
38 yo female. Under a bit of stress but normal day to day stuff, that's all! History of migraine on first day of period that is easily controlled with painkiller meds. But never, ever anything like this!! Really freaked me out for the 20 mins I had it. Will make appt at GP and opticians. Horrible thing.
Migraine changes for most people as they get older. In the very young its nausea, vomiting, headache, sensitivity to light and sound and sometimes zig/zag (scintillating scotomas). As people enter middle age the symptoms tend to be more zig/zag and less headache, less nausea and vomiting and much milder. If someone starts migraines in middle age its usually zig/zags and mild or no headache.   Most people older than 60 with migraines outgrow them.  The problem is that in unusual cases migraine can be mimicked by disease of the heart, brain, blood vessels or eye.
I got this for the second time ever just now. I'm 26. It freaked me out. It happened at work for the first time and I was pretty stressed that day. It happened again just now while I was outside smoking. I went to unplug a light and thought it was just spots from staring at the light. I didn't stare at it long. Came inside and tried to read but my vision was blocked by the c shaped kaleidoscope like crystalline thing. It was in both eyes. Was super annoying. Then after it started to go away I got a small headache. Was there for at least 10 mins.
You need to be checked by a personal physician to be sure you have no disease of heart, blood vessels or brain that might mimic migraine and by an ophthalmologist to be certain you have no problems in the eye that might mimic migraine. And.......try and stop smoking.  If it is migraine and you smoke you considerably increase the risk of stroke.
This is happening to me as I write this. Started out rather small and now is becoming a bigger c and I have a slight headache. Im 18. Ive had this happen when I was younger but thought nothing of it. Glad to know it might just be a migraine.
My grandma went the er on Saturday for high blood sugar(421), after that and being diagnosed with a uti. She was released. While this was happening, she started seeing kaleidoscopes in her left eye. It's progressed as the week (today is Thursday) has gone by. Sometimes not happening for 30 mins other times happening every 3 mins. Usually only last around a min and no headache after. She got a referral to an eye dr and we go on monday. I'm just nervous that it's more. They are worse today then any day this week. Please I need some reassureance.
When zig-zags, Kaleidoscope images occur in a young person associated with headache by far the most common cause is migraine however in older individuals who have never had migraines it can often be due to disease of the heart, brain, blood vessels or eyes or a form of TIA (transient ischemic attack).
Water. The next time you get the "kaleidoscope" effect, think back to the last time you drank some water. Chances are it's been a while since you drank some water. Several people here have stated that they got the "effect" after strenuous activity and sweating. That type of activity most certainly drains a large amount of water from your body. If you are not drinking water during any exercise, that's just plain wrong. I'm 62 - I've had the "kaleidoscope" effect since...well, all my life as far as I can remember. I just had one episode about 40 minutes ago. As the link from "pugh" stated, it lasts about 30 minutes. You can't drive during them nor read or watch TV. If you drink a couple (yes at least 2) glasses of water right when you "see" the effect coming on, you can minimize the intensity, but it's not going to stop until it's darn good and ready. I've never had a headache before or after an episode, and never felt ill. It's just a pain in the a--. Until I found this forum I didn't know what it was called because everybody "I" ever talked to about it, including physicians, simply ignore me - AND ignore the fact that I've had Tinitus all my life. There are some things that physicians simply are not prepared to address and blow off a patient due to lack of expertise, but would never be honest enough with their patient to say, "I don't know. Let me research that." My physical health? I've eaten only natural foods since 1983. I've worked out all my life. During most of the 90's I was a personal trainer and body builder. Additionally, during that time I played racquetball most every day. Once in a while I'd experience an episode after playing racquetball, but I knew why and what to do for that. Even today I work out 4 days a week at the gym. I know all about hydrating, but sometimes I slip and that's when I get another episode. It's pretty common for me to get them on average once a month. Sometimes I'll go several months without one. The only thing "I" have found is to drink water and sit until the "kaleidoscope" passes. It starts in a different spot every time, and it always in both eyes. It may start on the right of each eye and move to the left - like a slow moving "ring" that passes over each eye. So today, after having another episode, I decided to search for either a cause or at least some information. In "my" mind, I just need to make sure that I'm drinking enough water all day because there is nothing I can do about the episodes otherwise. I've only had them once or twice while driving and was close enough to my destination (luckily) that I could get off the road within a minute or two after noticing that it was happening. Until physicians are educated on this "kaleidoscope" effect, I doubt we're going to find an absolute answer or determination of what we are experiencing. Those who experience more symptoms than the "kaleidoscope" really need to push their physician for more concrete answers.
=
I have the exact same symptoms and I've been diagnosed as having complex migraines (although infrequent...just as the prisms are). Last night I experienced a complex migraine and today the prisms. I do believe it is connected because it's too coincidental not to be when they occur back to back. I am hydrated so that's not an issue but I also spend quite a lot of time on the computer. The prisms just now subsided after about 20 minutes.
JohnHaganMD
This just happened to me and it's not the first time. In the past, it has happened about 3 or 4 times, with the most recent episode happening a week or so ago. It happened in my right eye and I saw a kaleidoscope prism that grew and grew, so much so that it distorted my vision. I drink plenty of fluids on a regular basis and I am 28. I do take birth control pills and I have stressful days but nothing over the top. Sometimes I try to cover one eye and see if I can see better in the other but usually it's around the perimeter of one eye completely and a little bit in the inner corner on another. Like others have said, it does start out as a C shape and then gradually grows. I do get headaches frequently but so far none have ever followed nor preceded my kaleidoscope episodes.
You need to see an ophthalmologist for a baseline eye exam and tell her/him about your zig zag symptoms,  hopefully you also have a personal physician and you should go in to discuss and for a basic physical exam with attention to neurological and cardio-vascular.
=
maybe this?

http://www.gmtoday.com/content/m_magazine/2013/June/m_062013_42.asp
Sorry the link does not work for me.