Eye Care Forum

LASIK - Smooth Scan laser

Posted By  Suhel on May 23, 1999 at 20:47:33
I am a 24 year professional working in New York City.
My spectacle prescription is:
  SPH   CYL    AXIS
R -5.75  -2     040
L -12    -2.5   135
I met a doctor in LA regarding LASIK, who informed me that while the right eye was no problem, given the high myopia in the left eye, it would make more sense to wait until a Smooth Scan addition to the VISX Star 2 laser, is available in the US.
Given the case with my left eye, do you think that waiting for
Smooth Scan would be prudent, or are there more sophisticated
opportunities in Canada, such as with the Chiron laser?
Your input is greatly appreciated.

_
what is your degree of astigamtism??? you only gave me your myopia???

Posted by HFHS M.D.-JL on May 23, 1999 at 23:55:42
I first would recommend an additional opinion.  With the current lasers on the market, they should be able to accomodate your highly myopic eye.  I am not familiar with the laser that you are referring to but there will likely be a whole host of new lasers in the future.  At this point, I do not see much advantage in traveling to Canada for technology.  Seek an additional opinion.
This information was provided for medical educational purposes only.
HFHS M.D.-JL

Posted by HFHS M.D.-JL on May 24, 1999 at 14:33:49
After conversing with a collegue, he informed me that the Smooth Scan is not necessarily going to increase the limit on the amount of myopia that can be corrected, but it tends to smooth out the surface.  This is an advantage no matter what level of myopia.  Good luck.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.