Eye Care Community

Maybe PVD are not that bad after all

We have had a number of discussions about posterior vitreous detachments (PVD) and their role in causing retinal detachments. The eye would be better off if it were entirely filled with water like fluid rather than vitreous gel.  New studies indicate that diabetics with vitreous gel attached to the retina are more prone to develop profliferative vitreo-retinopathy than eyes with complete vitreous detachment. Also once the vitreous is stripped off the retina then it cannot tear the retina.

A new druge Vitresolve is now under FDA phase I and II study that essentially liquifies the vitreous chemically causing a complete PVD.  These new studies indicate that it reduces the likelyhood of PDR in diabetics and retinal detachment in high risk patients. No estimate on when it might be available for general use.

JCH MD
Cool. My retina is torn due to acute PVD. Now it becomes floaters. Does it dissolve floaters, too? Its watchful waiting on the other eye.
Hope for us all.

JCH MD
My retina has detached, it has been almost a year. Would like to know if the floater will stop one day, in my case they seem to increase. Thank you for your help.
As natural part of aging, floaters may increase bit by bit. Of course a sudden increase (which usually means bleeding) warrant a visit to your doc ASAP. You would know the tell-tale signs by now.
This news is very interesting. I wonder what sort of side effects this drug will have. I'm hoping that it will pass the trials.
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00664183?cond=%22Diabetic+Retinopathy%22&rank=29