Eye Care Community

New starbursts and halos 3 years post lasik

I had LASIK done on both eyes 3.5 years ago.  Traditional LASIK on left eye (had mixed astigmatism and moderate nearsightedness) and Wavefront LASIK on right eye.  (astigmatism and nearsightedness).  Prior to surgery, had mild dry eye condition, which was treated with eyedrops 2 weeks prior to surgery.  Also prior to surgery, had some corneal scarring (not in visual area) possibly from 20 years of soft contacts use.  Surgery outcome was ok, with 20/15 in right eye and 20/30 in left, basically monovision.  No halos or starbursts EVER until approximately one two months ago.  Has progressed so that now it is very difficult to drive at night.  Dry eye condition has improved.  I'm a 42 year-old female in excellent health.  Could halo eye symptoms be a result of LASIK surgery so long ago, if I never had those symptoms in the interim?  I was thinking all this could be related to presbyopia due to my age.  However, my reading vision has actually improved over the past month ( I have never wore reading glasses), while my astigmatism seems to have worsened over the same time.  I am also under an extreme amount of stress while doctors are trying to diagnose a condition I have had for several months.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks--
The effects of the lasik would not be a cause. I would suspect the development of refractive errors and of course cataracts need to be ruled out with those symptoms.

JCH III MD
Thanks for your comment.  I plan to see an eye MD this week.  Also have an appt. with my LASIK surgeon the following week. Some of the possible systemic conditions doctors suspect I may have include pulmonary sarcoidosis, wegener's granulomotous disease, lupus, or cancer (lymphoma).  Do any of those conditions present with the eye symptoms I have described?
I had PRK surgery performed on my eyes about 10 months ago and have noticed some starbursting and minor halos at night. The at around 3 months the original starbursts and haloes went away; however, I started to notice them again around 7 or 8 months post-op. I am 99% sure that it is due to the ablation area being slightly too small because when I briefly shine a light in my eyes and look away (in low-light conditions) all the starbursts vanish temporarily. Then they slowly come back (I'm guessing because my eyes are dilating). By the way, my vision is fine. I can easily see 20/20.

I was wondering if anyone had any feedback and possibly if these starbursts would go away eventually or if I need to have my eyes corrected with a laser again to increase the size of the ablation area.

Thanks a lot!
All of the disease you mention can include or start with eye disease of many types.

JCH III MD
Sir, I think you may have confused me with "Thinkfast" but if not, I apologize. I was wondering if you had any input into my PRK situation. Thank you again, kindly sir.
There are a number of things that could be occuring. With the sudden onset of trouble with night vision and increase of reading vision it is very important to exclude early cataract formation. Those two symptoms are often the first signs of a cataract.

You could have some regression of your lasik surgery it would be somewhat unsual but not rare.

Stress should have nothing to do with it.  Hopefully the condition that you are being worked up for is not serious and hopefully it is not causing your eye symptoms.

You need to return to the Eye MD of your choice. Do voice your concerns about an early cataract specifically. you will probably also need a repeat corneal topography and a meticulous refraction.

Good luck

JCH III MD