Eye Care Community

Omega 3 for dry eye

Recent eye exam revealed moderately dry eyes (I have been having a lot of discomfort) so I have been trying out different drops. But I have also tried adding omega 3 supplement. I first tried Ocuvite 50 plus which doesn't seem to have enough omegas to make any difference. I then tried Thera tears nutrition which has large amounts and actually made a difference! .....Bad news... It also makes me itchy and gives me diarrhea! Now what?
Try flaxseed oil capsules...very inexpensive and work great...i take 1 or sometimes 2 per day and it helps the dry eyes a lot...give it some time for it to build up in your system...like a week or two...doesn't give instant results...lol
Thanks. I'll give them a try.
Has a root cause of your dry eye been found? You can check with your eye doc to see if punctal plugs may help relieve you of the discomfort (and expense!!) Those drops are $$$$$
Thanks for being concerned enough to respond. I had cataracts removed 4 years ago, plus I'm 10 years post menopause; so there you go.  My eye doc is part of a group of excellent eye surgeons and didn't mention plugs yet.