Optic Nerve Drusen

I am a 25 year old female who was diagnosed with Optic Nerve Drusen at the age of 14.  However, no-one really seems to know that much about it.  My eye doctor dilates my pupils every year to check on it.  He said it hasn't changed a whole lot.  I would like to know more about it though.  What should I be concerned about, if anything?  Is it normal for a young person to have optic nerve drusen? (I remember going to a specialist for the first time when I was 14, and being the only one in the office younger than 50.)I have not seen any eye doctors other than my local eye doctor (he is an optometrist) since 1987.  Should I see any others?  I would appreciate any and all information anyone could give me.  Thank you.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

_

kit-
optic nerve drusen are deposits of material in the optic nerve itself, you can think of it as calcium.  they are often inherited and usually have very little if any effect- however in unusual cases they can cause visual field ( side vision ) loss and in very rare cases can cause reading vision loss. they tend to not cause many problems, though. they do tend to exist in both optic nerves. i would recommend an evaluation at least once every couple years by an ophthalmologist who should at least order a visual field test to detect any side vision loss.  i hope this helps.

Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Forum

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.