Eye Care Community
22k Members

Periphery retinal tear....anyone had this?

I visited my eye doctor this past week and he said that I have a tear in my periphery retina. He said that he could not do this repair in his office with his current equipment. So doctor sent me home with a paper to see my regular doctor for a pre-op. I've had laser to repair some areas while in the office. Although I really don't like the pain of being zapped with the laser, it is semi "tolerable."

I'm not sure what to expect from this new procedure? Listed on the paper is "laser retinopexy." Which is, I'm sure what I've received before in the office.

But when I need to get a pre-op, I'm thinking that I will be sedated via IV or under some kind of sedation/anesthetic.

My concern is that I don't know what to expect from this, if I'll be "out" under general (which I think would be a little too much, or if I'll just be given something for my nerves and to be calm.

If something is given to calm me, and I'm still "awake" though withdrawn, will I still feel pain if they don't give me an anesthetic?