Eye Care Community

Physical Strain

About 7 years ago, when I was 45, I had a vitreal detachment.  It was repaired with laser surgery.  Prior to that surgery I was "seeing" white lightning bolt-like images when I coughed in the dark at night.

Recently, I have begun to see round images upon awakening and more lights.  I have an appt. scheduled with an ophthalmologist.

About a month ago I began doing pushups with the "Perfect Pushup" handles.  I'm up to about 30 pushups or so.

Could doing pushups cause another vitreal detachment -- due to pressure or whatever?   I really enjoy feeling strong again in my chest and stomach but could it be a factor?

Your laser would be for a retinal hole or tear caused by the PVD not the PVD itself. PVDs are generally due to the effect of age and myopia. I would stop the push ups and heavy stoop, bend lift and get in ASAP to the Eye MD that did you laser treatment before. When you go in ask about resuming your exercises.

JCH III MD
I forgot to mention:  I have only one eye, having lost the other in a car accident when I was 22.  I'll probably forget the perfect pushups in favor of working out with dumbells and eliptical machines (until they perfect a total eye transplant!).

Many thanks.

-- Stephen