Eye Care Forum

Post Cataract Surgery

My parents were told I had a cataract when I was a couple of months old. I got surgery soon after (I'm assuming around 4 to 6 months old?) to remove the lens in my eye. (No IOL was put in). My parents had to put a contact in my eye and have me patch for an hour a day (along with other eye strengthening exercises) until I was around 9 years old - the eye doctor said that after this age, the patching and contacts won't help me gain more vision.

My eyes are different colors (one is green and the other *the one that had the cataract removed* is very blue). Im not sure if this resulted from the cataract or not, but I thought this extra info may help to understand what happened.
Along with the eye color difference, the eye with the removed cataract has a VERY small and not quite centered pupil. It doesn't change in size no matter if its bright or dark out... or even with dilating drops.

The vision is very bad - I can see things but cannot even read the largest letter at an eye exam. Contacts to correct my vision don't help it at all either.

So this leads me to my question (now that you know my background - sorry its so long!) but is there any hope for my eye to improve its vision? I have a theory that since my brain wasn't able to fully develop images in that eye due to the cloudy cataract that nothing would be able to fix my vision...

My second question is: is there anything that could fix my pupil so it functions correctly? (I was told that the iris is probably paralyzed due to some sort of inner eye fluids or something....)

I have lived with this for 20 years now and I think about it every day...I'm desperate to find something to help my eye! If there's any information you can give me it would be greatly appreciated!
Dear jazzy1234,

You are right on track. Since the issue you had occurred in one eye, it does sound as if the imbalance even with treatment caused a lazy eye. I would seek the care of an eyeMD and undergo a complete eye examination to answer your questions as well as examine the health of your other eye.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.