Eye Care Community

Post vitrectomy surgery slow recovery.

Just over two months ago I got what they call a vitreous bleed from a torn retina. Two days later I was being operated on by a surgeon I knew nothing about. I am very nearsighted with an RK, so I guess I’m high risk.
Well I made it through the bubble, the body positioning, and the big black floaters that have since gone away. After two months there are still several things I’m dealing with.
1. Eye still dilated, still about twice as dilated as my good eye.
2. Eye still red, redness gets better and worse, but won’t go away.
3. Vision comes and goes, seems to take me longer to focus then my good eye. I see better with surgery eye in morning, seems to get worse in evening. Eye drops and liquigel seem to help so I use them religiously, Sunglasses help to.
4. See a red dot near the center of my vision, it comes and goes and has been around since my bubble dissipated enough for me to see it. Sometimes light around it does a strobe like flickering that is short lived thank god. At first I thought it might be scar tissue, but now suspect optic nerve related.
5. Strange stuff on my periphery, reddish waves inside my eye, and blind spot on my periphery opposite where they cauterized the bleed, all of which I believe are par for the course.
Before you say it, yes I have talked to the surgeon’s partner and called the office a number of times, and even sought out a second opinion. They assured me my eye is healing, but none of them have been terribly informative.
A red dot is not on their list of things to watch out for, but what the hell is causing it? The eye dilation might be damage to a nerve, if so where does that leave me? Will it heal? Or am I stuck this way?
Redness is from surgery, and vision could be helped by new glasses, which my insurance won’t pay for until next year. Old glasses are worthless.
I’m posting this in hopes that other people out there have been through this or have an idea what’s going on.
Sorry to hear about your complications.  I've been treated for a couple retinal tears, so I know where you are coming from.  Regarding insurance and glasses -- From your remarks, I assume you have some sort of glasses coverage.  If you have not already done so, consider contacting your insurance company and making the case that new glasses are medically necessary after retina surgery.  Ask your retinal surgeon to provide a copy of the surgical insurance claim for documentation.  It may be denied, but it is worth a try.  Best wishes.
=
Thank you for your support and advice, but I would like to point out my questions have not been answered. What is the red spot I see in the morning?
No way to tell from your description. You need to discuss it with your retina surgery who can examine your eye. Be sure you have had a recent macula OCT

JCHMD
To update the previous post, after the optometrist quit blaming the eye drops I haven't used for months it seems the laser damaged the nerve that controls eye dilation. It should get better with time but may never be like it was. Yippee. The redness is probably due in part to dryness and allergies. I'm wondering if there was tear duct damage in surgery as well and if so what happens then? They don't seem to know what the red dot is either. There's a more involved scan where then inject me with something, but probably not worth it at this point.

I was given 2 drops for symptoms. Prednisone 1% for redness and Pilocarpine 1% for eye dilation. Pilocarpine a little scary. had my pupil down to a pinprick and lasted over a day. Any thoughts or opinions anyone?  
The injection night be for contrast used with digital retinal photography.  I had that done prior to a vitrectomy/ERM peel and the imagery was very detailed when viewed on a monitor.