Eye Care Community

Progressive Intermittent Strabismus (Exotropic) Surgery

My daughter had eye surgery on Wednesday.  One of her eyes would drift outward when looking at objects far away, however, her eyes when looking up close or playing they were always in alignment.  She had eye surgery on 08/13 and now her right eye is always looking inward towards her nose.  She follows up with the dr that did the surgery on Monday, however today I could not even get through to his office so I called an office my pediatrician recommended and had her seen.  They recommended patching the left eye an hour a day for 30 days in order to strength the right eye.  They said a second surgery may be necessary at 60 days and she may end up needing glasses.  She is 3 years old and such a beautiful little girl and this surgery makes her look as if she has some sort of disability.  I am absolutely terrified that she is going to look like this for the rest of her life and it makes me so sad every time I look at her.    

My questions - Could her eye go back into alignment on it's own at all times?  Does this seem like the proper protocol?  Is 60 days the proper time for a second surgery?   Is there anything else we can do to help her eye?  What is the normal time frame that it could take a small childs eyes to go back to alignment on their own if they are going to?