Recent Visual Disturbances

When I wake up after having slept for approximately 7-12 hours or so, upon waking:

1)My Left eyelid seems to take about 3 minutes to open at normal speed, was recently hit with a bout of dry eye where my eye was watering constantly through the day, however it is not currently watering during the day anymore, and there is no buildup from crying at night.

2)What I see in the first 5 minutes of being awake are:
   a. Colors and patterns are off (i.e. Certain things stand out, patterns, etc.) of which some seem to move. These things do not talk to me in case your wondering.
   b. Black Lighting bolts (kinda looks like blood vessels) beginning at the edge of vision and ending at the center of my sight.

These symptoms are rarely if ever accompanied by any pain or other problems that I haven't already touched on.

I currently am Diagnosed with needing to wear glasses, have had a lazy eye (the left one) since birth, and take the following medications:

Lopid, Norvasc, Ramipril, Metoprolol, Levothyroxin.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Dear Tronixguy,

I would recommend that you see an eyeMD to have your eyes evaluated.  The symptoms of the left eye may be a recurrent corneal erosion; however, I would not expect the visual symptoms of colors and patterns you are experiencing with this condition.  The visual symptoms of your left eye may represent a TIA, change in blood pressure, or migraine so it is important for you to go see your eyeMD to determine the cause.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

Thank You for your quick response. I have an appointment being scheduled for me to see an opthamologist in the coming week. I will keep you updated with what I hear back.

Until then, My general physician has prescribed that I use

Natural Tears Preserved Solution 1 drop(s) OU BID for 30 days
Sleep apnea?

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Forum

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.