Eye Care Forum

Red eyes/eyelids

I have had red eyes and eyelids for several months.  Redness reducing eye drops help, but only temporarily.  I had this same problem when I was on Accutane, but it went away once i was off the drug.   Now it is back and I have been off accutane for over a year.  My eyes are not itchy, and there is no discharge to indicate pink-eye.  I was tested by an allergist for enviornmental and food allergies and all were negative.
I have switched my eye cream and eye make-up in case it was related, but it is still not better.

Suggestions?
Dear jade000,

I would recommend that you seek the care of an eyeMD to determine whether you might have blepharitis, dermatitis, meibomitis of the eyelid margin or other condition which may be contributing to the redness.  Finding out and treating the underlying problem is better than masking the symptom by using vasoconstrictors, which reduce the redness.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Hi Jade,

Maybe it is dry eye a condition caused by blepharitis. An optometrist
or opthalmogist would be able to diagnose if this is the problem.
Are your eyelashes falling out?
I hope this helps some.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.