A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
21.9k Members
122065 tn?1241388929

Restasis and Sjogren's Syndrome

I have been prescribed Restasis for my dry eyes and wanted to get an independent opinion regarding it's safety.  I am concerned that there could be problems down the line after the drug has been around 20+ years that is unknown at this time.  Do you feel it is safe without any long-term harm to the eyes, knowing that it is an antiinflammatory for the eyes, from what I understand.  Thank you for your input!
5 Responses
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
My wife is on it and she and I are totally happy with the result (after 4 months to start working) and so are 4 of her closest friends and probably close to a hundred people (mostly post menopausal females).  The medicine is extremely safe. It's a lot safer than asprin (where thousands bleed to death every year from it).

JCH MD
122065 tn?1241388929
Thank you doctor - that's reassuring to know that Restasis is helping so many people, including your wife and friends.  I am also postmenopausal, so I'm sure that's also contributing to the dry eyes, especially since having to stop the HRT cold turkey in May.  I will definitely give Restasis a try.  Thanks again for your input!  
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Be very patient. Don't expect much help for 4 months but after that it often gets better for up to a year.

Also Omega Fish oil is helpful. If you try that get the ENTERIC COATED FISH OIL  Just take one with your evening meal for two weeks to let you stomach get use to it. Then add a second one with breakfast. 2/day is enough for most people but if you have high cholesterol, a family history of heart attack of stroke then 3 day (1 with breakfast and two with dinner) are better. Also helps dry skin, hair, mouth, nasal passages and vaginal canal)  If you have ultra delicate stomach freeze the fish oil capsultes and take frozen.

JCH MD
122065 tn?1241388929
Yes, I do take ******* Omega Guard which is a full spectrum of seven Omega-3's including DHA and EPA.  I understand that there have been many studies on the benefits of Omega Fish oil on the eyes and body as a whole, so I started using it sometime ago.  I'll continue with that and give the Restasis a good try.  I have no risk factors such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes or obesity, so I think your suggestion of 2 a day is fine.  That's a great idea about freezing them to ease any stomach upset!  Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions!  
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
-
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511758844
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.