Eye Care Community

Restore IOL

I have cataracts and after reading this forum, I was sure I wanted to go with the Crystalens HD.  But then I visited the Opthomologist and he was a big proponent of the Restore IOL.  I asked about the Glare issues with Restore.  He said there were glare issue awhile back, but Resotre had made improvements and he has not had a single patient complain about glare in over a year.  I tried to look up the history of Restore and find out exactly what there improvements have been.  Does anybody know the history or a link to it.  He mentioned Restore had just came out with new lens.  He also said 99.99% of the patients he has implanted with the Restore IOL have been happy and none have requested it to be removed.  On the other hand he has had people request the Crystalens be removed due to the fact they could not get enough movement out of the lense.  I asked about needing glasses afterwards and he said officially Restore quotes 80% of the people do not need glasses afterwards, but in his practcie that percentage has been a lot higher.  He said that the percentage for Crystalen implants not needing glasses was a lot less.  I know some of complaints here are older and maybe things have improved with Restore.  I wanted to get other thoughts on the topic.  He implants both Crystalens and Restore and does not recommend or implant Rezoom (which was good sign)
I forgort I wanted to add the Opthomolgist said it was not unusual for the lense to cloud over time and need a YAG.  Is this normal that the lens will cloud and you then need laser treament.
This is what I had implanted in my eyes:
Left eye: 12.0D Restor SN6AD1 and right eye: 12.50D Crystalens HD520.  Both IOL's were targeted @ -0.25D, but achieved plano.  My right eye was done 6 weeks ago and my left eye 2 weeks ago.  The Restor and CL HD are the latest products available.

The Crystalens HD (CL HD) is clearer than the Restor, which is tinted (slightly yellow).  My clearest vision is as follows:
- 1 to 2 ft vision is best with the Restor
- 2 to approx. 6 ft vision is best with CL HD
- >6 ft both are equal

The new Restor IOL was improved from the previous model by expanding the near vision from about 1-1/2 ft to 2 ft.  The intention is to get better intermediate vision, which has been the main drawback of the Restor.  The way the Restor lens works is to create 2 images, one near and one far.  The brain then sorts it out.  It does take time for this to happen.  Initial halos/double images around lights, etc. should diminish over time..

The advantage of the CL HD is that it is very clear and is designed to give you excellent intermediate vision and far vision.  Getting it to accommodate (move) by your eye muscles may be less common than reported.  I am doing my word games to exercise my right eye muscle.  I can barely read the computer monitor without glasses.  But, with the aid of my Restor lens, I can read the monitor easily.  I need +2.25 readers to read newspaper and pocket books.

Vision is now much brighter than pre-cataract surgery, so I use sunglasses whenever I'm outside during the day.  Amber color seems best for driving.

A nurse at my Dr's office was extremely happy with her two Restors (older technology).  She wears no glasses and can even read extremely fine print.

I think the key will be the quality and experience of your Dr. with implanting Restor and CL IOL's and your expectations.  There have been a lot of horror stories posted in this forum.  You do have to be patient because complete healing takes 5 weeks, which means it may not settle into place until then.  The CL seems trickier to implant and located properly in the eye.  You should ask your Dr. why he feels you are a good candidate for the Restor.  Can you contact happy and unhappy patients doe by your Dr.?

Clouding of the remaining capsule (not the lens) seems fairly common and would require a YAG capsulotomy, but it may take a long time before it is required.
-
MY DR. RECOMMENED THAT I HAVE CATARACT SURGERY AND AFTER GOING THROUGH ALL THE CHECKING I AM TOTALLY CONFUSED REGARDING WHICH IMPLANTS, HE RECOMMENDS REsTOR--I HAVE READ ABOUT REZOOM AND TECNIS AND DON'T KNOW WHICH TO CHOSE
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
First be sure you really want to put up with the extra expense, extra complications of the multifocal IOLs and still likely to need glasses for 20-30% of your activities. As an I surgeon I would not have any of these put in my eye. There is a wealth of information on these eye forums which you can read by using search and archives.

If you do decide to have a primium IOL I would AVOID THE REZOOM LIKE THE PLAGUE.  In my opinion it is outdated and obsolete.  The other IOLs that are much better (not perfect) are the Crystalens HD, ReStor Aspheric +3 and +4, and the new Tecnis aspheric multifocal.

JCH MD
I had the Restor Multifocal last year and regret this very much. You just may be real sorry if you go for any type of Restor Multifocal new or old. I've had to have IOL exchange in both eyes.