A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
21.9k Members
798335 tn?1237478245

Retinal Detachment - Eye Tumor

Today, my grandmother went to an eye hospital to correct a detached retina.  While they were doing whatever they do they found a tumor behind her eye which they said was the cause of it.  How serious is this, and what are ways of fixing it?  I am trying to do as much research as possible to help make a plan for her to get everything taken care of so any kind of input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
1 Responses
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
This is a serious situation and I cannot tell you any specifics only generalities.  A retinal detachment caused by a tumor (as opposed to a tear in the retina) is called a non-rhegmatogenous RD.

The  tumors that can cause this in order of frequency:  metastatic cancer (breast in women, lung in men) and primary malignant melanoma.

Benign tumors usually don't do this but that would be the best case.  Again you need to get the details from her Eye MDs.

JCH MD
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511758844
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.