Eye Care Community

Retinal Detachment - Eye Tumor

Today, my grandmother went to an eye hospital to correct a detached retina.  While they were doing whatever they do they found a tumor behind her eye which they said was the cause of it.  How serious is this, and what are ways of fixing it?  I am trying to do as much research as possible to help make a plan for her to get everything taken care of so any kind of input would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!
This is a serious situation and I cannot tell you any specifics only generalities.  A retinal detachment caused by a tumor (as opposed to a tear in the retina) is called a non-rhegmatogenous RD.

The  tumors that can cause this in order of frequency:  metastatic cancer (breast in women, lung in men) and primary malignant melanoma.

Benign tumors usually don't do this but that would be the best case.  Again you need to get the details from her Eye MDs.

JCH MD