Eye Care Community
22k Members

Rolling/moving eyes

My son's eyes started rolling up to the left (together) while he was chatting to me about one month ago. Then he started to blink a lot, and later the eyes started to move in different directions. Tonight they were rolling up so much it was scary. We saw an ophthalmologist who said eye health was fine, but eyes were very dry. To complicated things he is in vision therapy for mild teaming issues.   He has a vestibular weakness. This all started about two weeks after we returned from holiday. Six weeks prior my son was prescribed nasal steroids, he had a terrible cold and was screaming on the plane, he was later prescribed systemic steroids whilst on holiday. Oh and the has  grown 9cm in one year. To top it all off we had to do some eyes closed balancing the week before physiotherapy to test whether his balance was improving. The eye rolling started immediately after this. In the last week, my son I is becoming more aware and has started to do things that look like tics, moving his neck or jaw at the same time, but most of the time the eyes move on their own. What is going on?!!
I would strongly urge you to discuss with his pediatrician. "vestibular weakness" is not a diagnosis.  I strongly suggest that he see a pediatric neurologist or pediatric ophthalmologist or both. The rolling of the eyes is not normal and could be an indication of serious underlying neurological problems.

For reassurance I believe you need one or both of these 'super-specialists"

JCH MD