Soothe XP

I had my second cataract surgery at the end of Jan. 2011 and was given Soothe XP to use (I have very dry eyes).  Looking at the bottle now--couldn't see to read it then--I see that it expires 3/10.  I like this drop a LOT.  Searching the web, I see that Soothe XP was recalled for all bottles dated 2/11 through 8/12.  My questions:  1)  Can I still use my bottle labelled 3/10? 2) if not, can you suggest an alternative for very dry eyes with lens replacements?  I have just spent almost two hours trying to get my pharmacy and eye doctor's office on the phone to no avail.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
=
Helpful - 0
Ah, I see that Systane Balance does list mineral oil among its ingredients:

"Boric acid, dimyristoyl phosphatidylglycerol, edetate disodium, hydroxypropyl guar, mineral oil, polyoxyl 40 stearate, POLYQUAD® (polyquaternium-1) 0.001% preservative, sorbitan tristearate, sorbitol and purified water. May contain hydrochloric acid and/or sodium hydroxide to adjust pH."
(http://www.systane.com/Systane-Balance-Lubricant-Eye-Drops.aspx)
Helpful - 0
An OTC lubricant for MGD and blepharitis is Systane Balance.

JCH MD
Helpful - 0
I think Soothe XP might have been designed to fill the gap when ReFresh Endura, an apparently effective OTC eyedrop by Allergan, was taken off the market.  This stuff contained a castor oil emulsion, and I have read that many opthalmologists and their dry eye patients really liked it.

A small controlled study not too long ago showed that eye drops containing specially prepared castor oil was quite effective for those with meibomian gland dysfunction, so an OTC prep (or even an rx) would have been nice to have around:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19963428

For whatever reason, though, this specific kind of thing is not available.  For a time, you could get it in Canada, but I think even that has dried up, so to speak.

Helpful - 0
Soothe XP is over the counter and can be ordered over the internet. Don't use the out of date drops.

JCH MD
Helpful - 0
Try Systane Ultra for day and Refresh Liquigel for night.  Your opthal.'s office should have samples.  If those don't work, go back to your opthal.
Helpful - 0
I've been using Sooth XP but still can't go a full night without my eyes drying/ sticking/ hurting. Other drops seemed to need to be used constantly, if they didn't burn terribly. I have an eye veil I was told, also 20+environmental allergies , there is no season that is good for me. (was told level 4 out of 5 for an indicator)
Since I can't find this anymore, does anyone have an idea what I can try out?
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community