Sore, puffy, dry, red eyelids... Help needed, as my pharmascist is the definition of useless!

Apologiies in advance for this crazily long post- perhaps if I had forced my pharmacist to read all of this, he might have actually been helpful.....

For the last few weeks I have been suffering from incredibly sensitive eyes/eyelids which are red, dry and sore, similar to sunburn. I initially thought it was because of some cheap make-up remover wipes that I used to take off my mascara. Although I had been using them for a while, they soon started to sting and burn the area around my eyes whenever I used them. The use of any eye make-up other than mascara would result in a stinging sensation, which varied in terms of severity. Moisturiser and even baby-lotion would burn my skin. Since then however, I have been using some Garnier make-up wipes, made for sensitive skin and the problem seemed to get a bit better, although eyeshadow was still strictly off-limits. But then, last Sunday, my eyes had gone back to their previous state, of being very red and sore. I hadn't worn any make-up or used any products on or near my eyes at all on Sunday, so I'm confused as to what caused it to return.

On Monday and Tuesday, several people commented on the state of my eyes, especially the right one, which seemed to be in a worse condition. My eyelids were dry and painful to touch, especially in the corner and it was continuously weeping, until yesterday afternoon when it seemed to heal up to the point where it looked sore, but no longer felt it.

And then today- my awful eyes are worse than ever. While my actual eyes are fine, my eyelids are large,  puffy and as per usual- RED. My left one was expectionally bad, where it was almost hard to keep open. Since the day has gone on, they've somewhat improved, although they remain puffy and red.

One more thing- it may or may not be related but yesterday morning I woke up with a dry, red, sore patch of skin around the left corner of my mouth. When covered up with makeup, it's not so bad, but still notciable and sometimes itchy. I put on some E45 cream today, as I thought this would help, but I think it made it worse as it started stinging and burning almost immediatley. I never had this before, only since the problem has returned to my eyelids. Related, perhaps?

What is going on with my evil, crazy eyes?! I look awful, as I'm very pale and the contrast between my pale face with the random red patch near my mouth and my dry, puffy eyelids makes me resemble something out of a horror film... :( Any ideas of what the problem could be or how to fix it? Or has anyone else suffered similar symptoms? All help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Alex.
I live in the Pacific Northwest where it is very wet, between 40-70 degree temps. I do not think it's the dry heat. I have experienced eye discomfort for almost a year now. It would come and go. I then started experiencing a build-up of scaly skin behind the ear and weeping. Then my right eye-lid started swelling (especially in the morning upon waking) they were also itching, dry (scaly).
Here is what I did (not a cure though) to make them feel better.
Take an antihistamine 25mg twice a day for itching & swelling, then 50mg at bedtime. 3 times a day I wash behind my ears and my eyes with baby shampoo (makes them very dry, but stops the itching.) Then I bought Lamisil (for Athletes feet) put this on for 2 days.(in case it was a fungus) Then I switched & put on hydrocordizone for 1 day, wow, this helped alot. My eyes & ears were cracked & bleeding, so I put Vaseline on them. They felt sooooo much better and almost cleared up. Then bam! It came back yesterday.  I believe it is an allergy to my cat. So I washed all my bedding, and put the cat out of my bedroom.
You are also right about it being age related. I never had a problem until I hit about 40, then I started having allergic reactions to everything.
Do Not, I repeat, DO NOT put Tea Tree Oil on your eyes or face. I did this and thought I would go through the roof. (Burned like the dickens). The hydrocordizone cream wasn't so bad, burned a little.
I found out about the Mario Badescu cream by reading the other comments on this page....IT WORKS!!  I had the same symptoms as everyone else...red, flaky, itchy patches on my eyelids.  I tried everything, but nothing work as well as this control cream!  It literally took one day to see my symptoms turn better and that was after I rubbed one of my eyelids so much that is started to bleed a little!  Thanks everyone for turning me on to this cream!!
i live in ontario canada. Can anyone tell me where i can buy mario badesu control cream close to the boarder (Michigan). I need help to get rid of my red, swollen, itchy eyelids. I also get blisters on my eye lids You can e-mail me privately if you prefer at donna.***@****
Abby
I have the same problem I have been prescribed steriod cream for the lids when very bad and I use liquid parafin called simple ointment (don't execpt vasaline its too thin) this takes the sting straight out of your eye lids, smother eye lids over night for a few nights and seems to clear for a bit, I don't were any make up on my lids and I have been able to wear it for years, so annoying! I have uv itus of the right eye too and the sore itchey red lids have started when the ub itus does, the ointment works very well and quickly, need a new prescription every 28 days but well worth it!
I have had the same problem that a lot of you have or have had. First my eyelids start to itch and feel like "prickly heat", then they turn red and eventually super puffy. I also get a lot of tearing. At first I thought it was ragweed allergy, but after the winter freeze it still came back. I tried cortisone cream and antihistamines that would slightly help, but it kept coming back. Eventually I tried one weird thing, and it went away in one day. So far it hasn't returned. I sprayed Tinactin on a tissue and blotted it all around my eyes. I waited until it dried before opening my eyes so as not to get any in them. I saw in one blog here that it could be a fungal infection. I don't know where I would have gotten a fungal infection from, but that's why I eventually got so fed up with nothing else working that I tried this. Yup..weird. I'll repost if this fails, but several days and no flare up!
I had extremely dry, red, and itchy "flare ups" on and around my eyelids and in the corner of my eyes.  My right eye was always worst then my left.  When I went to the doctor they told me that I had eczema and gave me a steroid cream.  At first the cream helped but I would continue to get flare ups.  I went back to the doctor and they thought I may be allergic to something and did the patch test on my back.  They couldn't find anything that I was allergic to.  So basically I was left with nothing and the flare ups would continue to come back every few days.  One day it was so unbearable and I found this blog.  Everyone here really helped me!  I went straight out and bought the Mario Badescu control cream from Nordstrom.  I figured I had nothing to lose - it was cheaper than if I went to the doctor and paid a co-pay nevermind whatever they would prescribe me!  Anyone who is having this issue should try the Mario Badescu control cream!!!   The second I put the cream on I could immediately feel relief!!  After a few days my unsolvable problem was gone forever!  It has been 5 months and I have been clear!!  I still put on the cream twice a day (morning and night) just as a precaution.  Thank you to everyone for recommending it!  My normal skin is back and I am so grateful!!
I sort of stumbled upon this site when I was suffering from dry, upper eyelids in February.  I even had small slits, or cuts, in the creases of my eyelids.  It was very painful.  I went to my dermatologist and was given a $40 cream.  It didn't help.  That's when I googled my problem and found this site.  I bought the Mario Badescu control cream.  I am not kidding....I was cured in 2 days.  I couldn't believe it.  I use it nightly and haven't had one sign of any recurrence.  
This forum helped me in my journey to discover why my eyelids "suddenly" started becoming ultra-sensitive.  After making it to almost 40 with no allergies or skin problems, I seemed to develop horrible eczema overnight.  My eyes started off just being puffy/swollen, then got an angry red, then flaked and swelling would go away.  I stopped wearing makeup, kept it well moisturized (on the advice of my doctor, who insisted it was a pollen allergy), and it still kept coming back... same pattern, a few times a week.  

It wasn't overly itchy, and using hydrocortizone cream helped, although I was concerned about the side-effects of using that, especially on the eye area.  When it started to spread down my cheeks, I knew something was really wrong.  My eyes looked horrible, like I had pink eye or some sort of horrible, infectious disease!  I was moritifed to be seen in public and felt compelled to explain to everyone that I didn't have an infection, just sensitive skin that was experiencing an allergic reaction.

This went on for four months.  I know many of you have been dealing with this for YEARS.  I simply could not anymore, so I finally bypassed my doctor, who was no help at all, and went to an allergist.  He spent about an hour with me, talking to me about my lifestyle and the particular symptoms I was experiencing.  At the end of our discussion, he said, "the one thing I can tell you is that you probably do not have an allergy to pollen.  Just from what I see happening to your skin and from what you've described, you have none of the classic reactions."  

He suggested I get a patch test for chemical reactions, as he suspected my allergy was to something in a product I was using.  My first thought was my makeup - oh no!  I love wearing makeup and don't want to have to stop.  So, I did the test, which involves wearing a strip of paper on your back that has chemicals on it, then removing it and see what swells up and reddens your skin.

Guess what?  I was allergic to methylchloroisothiazolinone, a preservative and foaming agent used commonly in shampoo.  The lightbulb went off and I thought back... yes, I had changed shampoos a couple of weeks before the trouble began.  Pantene... methylcholorisothiazolinone is one of the top ingredients!  Considering I was in the high allergy response result from my patch test, no wonder this was causing irritation... the way I washed my hair, all those suds ran down right over my eyes!!

I stopped using it and the problem VANISHED... my swollen eyes healed up and they have never, in the six months since, flared up again.  

So, long story short, please visit an allergist and see if they can help you by conducting a chemical patch test to see if you are allergic.  If you can't afford the allergist, try avoiding shampoos with this ingredient and see what happens -- it can't hurt!

Good luck. :)
Great point about looking carefully at your shampoo as a cause!  My derm said another common ingredient is increasingly found to be a problem.

It is cocamidopropyl betaine, a foam former that is usually among the first three ingredients listed on a shampoo bottle.

Just try walking down your friendly supermarket aisle and finding a single shampoo that does NOT contain it!
Try this first.
STING, SWOLLEN AND PAINFUL EYES  

Evidently this is a big problem.It was for me. This could also be a help for many.
  I  also found this:
The active ingredients contained within Kleenex Anti-Viral are Citric Acid and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. These ingredients are present in the middle layer of the tissue and upon activation by moisture, kill 99.9% of cold and flu viruses within 15 minutes of contact. These tissues are virucidal against Rhinoviruses Type 1A and 2 that cause the common cold, Influenza A and Influenza B which cause the flu and Respiratory Syncytial Virus which is the leading cause of respiratory infection in children. Citric Acid makes up 7.51%, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate makes up 2.02% and the remainder of the ingredients are inert. If one holds a tissue up to the light, little blue dots containing the anti-viral ingredients can be seen. (when you wipe your moist eyes you activate these additives. This could be in other products as well)
In order to make its flu-fighting claims, Kimberly-Clark had to get approval for its pesticide-laced product from the EPA, rather than the Food and Drug Administration since tissues aren't ingested.(but can be by people and animals, my dog eats kleenex) After a yearlong review, the EPA approved the product in 2003, with certain caveats. The agency, for example, required that Kleenex state on its label that the product hadn't been tested against bacteria, fungi or other viruses. Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07022/755901-28.stm#ixzz1PMrScUlV
Well Here is some info on KLEENEX:

Is KLEENEX® Facial Tissue biodegradable? Flushable?
KLEENEX® Tissue is made with biodegradable cellulose fibers. Because the tissue is made with an additive to make it strong, it will not break down as rapidly as bathroom tissue. Therefore, we suggest you discard KLEENEX® Facial Tissue in the trash.
What types of trees are used to manufacture KLEENEX® Facial Tissue?
Selected tree species, including spruce, fir, aspen, maple and eucalyptus contain thin wood fibers which contribute to the desirable characteristics of softness, absorbency and strength in KLEENEX® Tissue.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=187870

This is my post.
"I have had allergy's all of my live but when I moved to Dallas, Tx they got much worse. I have very sensitive eyes which water all of the time. My Eye Doctor gave me 2 excellent drops and controlled my problem. All of a sudden about 2 months ago they started sting so bad and none of the meds or any eye product worked at all. I had to put ice packs on my eyes and it didn't help very much. I ended up going to bed to rest my eyes. Then I started doing my own research on why this happened.  When your eyes water you grab a tissue. I was grabbing KLEENEX ULTRA SOFT designer tissue. THIS WAS THE PROBLEM. There is some chemical in the product that created such a painful horrible problem for me, it was very bad. When I stopped using a KLEENEX any where around my eyes it STOPED. Chemical Sun Screeners will also cause this problem. I bought hankies to address any eye watering and no problems. I hope this info helps you as well.  Go back to  hankies!!!  Be Green as save your self
Pat
I would just like to say how brilliant Mario badescu control cream is, after a few weeks of having nightmare it cleared up in 2 days I  have all done the same things as you all and I cant believe how amazing it is.  Just buy it and put it on your eyes quick
I found your post as I was researching this "red eye thing" and am so grateful to be reminded of the candida issue.  I expect it is the contributing factor for I have dealt with it in other areas for years.   In fact, a chiropractor found the problem about 5 years ago when my health was going south and docs could not find the problem.  They would just treat one area after another and not know what was causing them.  As you say, the diet works but I have really fallen off the wagon lately and I look like it.....from the eyes to the size. I look forward to relief.   Thanks.
I have all of these symptoms, burning eyes, burning crotch. And I have concluded that I am allergic to chlorine, try not to bath, or drink with that allergy.
I am so grateful to have found this thread.
After having red eyelids since Jan 2012, I  thought that it was because I hadn't applied eyecreams and not turning on a humidifier.So I applied Loreal eyecream and turned on the humidifier. Did not work. So went and bought the Estee Lauder $50 repair eye cream and applied in AM and PM. It was getting worse that I was feeling miserable. Itchy, self-conscious, depressed.  I finally decided it was time to go to the dermatalogist and pay $40+prescription. But before I did that, I googled "RED DRY EYELID" and discovered MARIO's CONTROL CREAM!!! I called ULTA to make sure they had it, and rushed to the store. I IMMEDIATELY felt better and in few days the redness and dryness was gone. It's been about two weeks, and I still apply it on my eyes as well as around my hairlines and neck, I guess I have eczema...self diagnosing after reading everybody's story. It DOESN'T itch anymore.It works as well as my prescribed cream for my itchy skin. I'm going to tell my brother who probably has eczema as well. Anybody has same problem, just believe us and get yourself a $16 (-20% off coupon at Ulta) and be cured TODAY :)
About a week ago, I found this list purely by accident and realized I was not alone.  I had no idea so many others were suffering like I was with burning, itching peeling eyelids.  Fortunately, unlike so many others, I know what caused my problem.

About three years ago, as I stepped outside shortly after dark, something flew into me and stung me on the outside corner of my right eye.  Forty-eight hours later, both eyelids were enflamed, burning, itching and the skin was falling off in big flakes.  I tried everything I could think of.  Like many of you, I found that the local doctors were absolutely no help at all.  No matter what I tried nothing seemed to help.  Every time I thought I had it under control, it would come back with a vengeance.  Last week was really awful.  Then I found this forum.  I read all of the posts and decided I had nothing to lose so I ordered Mario Badescu Control cream.

It was on my front porch when I got home on Wednesday along with some wonderful extras.  I tried it right away. As soon as I applied it, the burning and itching stopped.  Over the next few hours I watched the redness and swelling go down.  I slept soundly through the night for the first time in a long while.  What a relief!  My friends at work have been amazed at the difference the cream has made. They have a problem with rosacea so they are ordering it too.  This morning when I got up, I checked the mirror and it is hard to believe I ever had a problem at all.

For those of you who wonder if it can help you, I urge you to give it a try.  I have exceptionally fair skin and strawberry blond hair.  My skin is very sensitive and I there are lots of things I cannot use.  Generally speaking, if I can use something most everyone else can use it too.  No guarantee, of course, but the Mario Badescu cream is reasonably priced and well worth a try.  

My heartfelt thanks to those of you who recommended the Mario Badescu Control cream.  You have truly made a difference.  Your advice is greatly appreciated and the depth of my gratitude is more than words can express.  
I am always very sceptical of magic creams that are posted on these sites but can no longer put up with the irritation on my eyelids!  I have now purchased Mario Badescu control cream and await it's arrival.

I will let you know how I get on!
OMG!  I have been using the Mario Badescu control cream for 3 days now and it's amazing! The flakey skin and itching has gone, they are still a little red but with no discomfort. I really didn't think it would work and I have been proved wrong!  I had a patch of exzema on my neck and that has totally gone.

I would definitely reccomend you try it!
Can you please tell me what the EXACT name is of this Mario Badescu cream is? I tried to find the Control Cream and nothing comes up for this. Did they quit making it? Or is it listed by a different name? Please help!!!
=
I'm another Mario Badescu fan over here and have been using it for exactly 3 days too.

I've had problems with itchy, scaly, wrinkly eyelids now for over a year and a half and finally pinpointed it to an allergy to Cocdmidopropyl Betaine. This was about a month ago and although the soreness, itching and flaking had massively subsided, I was beginning to think the wrinkles, the tiny cuts and the flaking skin would be with me for life.

I'd read about the Mario Badescu cream before, but was put off by all of the rave reviews which seemed too good to be true and a bit like false advertising. However, I ordered the cream from BeautyBay on Friday feeling like a sucker and it arrived on Saturday morning.

By Saturday evening, my eyelids were noticeably better. Sunday they were better still, and on applying in the evening, the top layer of skin where the little cuts had been just came off, revealing perfect skin underneath! Monday morning and you would never know that I had had any problems - my eyelids look completely normal. Time will tell whether I need to keep using the cream to maintain this, or whether I can stop now it's all healed.

If you are suffering from this problem I would urge you to buy this - with something that does seem to work for so many people, it's worth a go!
I was wondering if your eyes are still doing better. I too had the same problem and just got rid of my memory foam pillows. My eyes look really good after just a few days, totally normal now. My holositic doc said it was environmental toxins. 60+ chimicals in those pillows!
I posted on here two weeks ago and now about 600 posts have been deleted, with mine included.  Makes me wonder.  I'm still suffering from ongoing attacks.  The Mario creme works for me but hasn't cured the flair ups.  I'm thinking virus because I've had a back ache and they say virus's live in the lower back.  I'm still using selsun blue alternating with J baby shmp and the attacks are not nearly as bad as in the beginning.  I've started acupuncture and herbs and will post, if allowed, my results.
As for the itching nipples, please see your gynecologist asap.  I am a mammographer, and this could be a sign of a very aggressive form of breast cancer.  You don't want to mess around with symptoms involving your breasts.  Good luck.
Yhh same am  a 15 year old and recently just yesterday i've been having the same problem and I feel its going to get worse :( i hope its nothing like a Sty and my bottom eye lid will revert back to normal after icing it.

Please inbox me if you can will what your doctor says

***@****

thankx
Another testimonial for the MB cream. I tried coconut oil, Vaseline, calendula cream and eyelid shampoos. I reduced dairy and yeast. I replaced all my eye makeup and the  stopped wearing eyemakeup. This has been going on for nearly three months. And i still had itchy, red swollen eyelids. I also tried fish oil and eyebright vitamins. I used warm compresses on muslin clothes and was careful not to use them without washing. My doctors prescribed .05% steroid cream and then 1% steroid cream. I tried elledin cream and would have relief for a day before it flared up again. I was waking in the nights with itchy eyelids and peeling.
I took the advice of one of the other posters and bought the MB cream and a few days later my eyelids are no longer itchy red or peeling. I am so happy and pleased with the advice. Shop around though as the MB site is very expensive for international shipping They wanted to charge $35! I found another company who would ship it for free to Australia. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.
OMG! I have to tell you my experience!  I have been suffering from dry eyelids since I was 18 yrs. old - I am now 45.  The only thing that would work was cortisone cream once in a while and oil of Olay - sensitive cream.  Everything was fine until they stopped making the one cream (oil of Olay -sensitive). The oil of Olay wasn't perfect, but it was the only thing that balanced the skin on my eyelids the best.  So for the past few years I have been searching for a substitute. I have been on numerous blogs, tried so many suggestions, countless remedies -- they all failed.  I became desperate a week ago when my eyes puffed out ALL OVER (no exaggeration!) and the redness and itchy feeling was unbearable - it even woke me up in the middle of the night!  I didn't know what to do. Even  the cortisone cream mixed with Auqaphor did not work anymore. I once again consulted the internet and came upon this site.  The only thing recommended on this site, which I have never seen mentioned before on the many website/blogs I have researched, was the Mario Badescu Control Cream.  Now let me make sure that I am clear - I DO NOT WORK FOR THE COMPANY NOR DO I HAVE ANY INTEREST IN THE COMPANY.  I bought the cream, tried it, and immediately had good results.  The redness left, the itchiness and puffiness was alleviated.  I told myself not to get my hopes up (you know how something will work for a few days and then it goes back to being irritated.)  The second day my eyes felt nearly 99% better.  I wanted to come to this blog and tell right away my experience but I made myself wait for a week before I posted because I did not want to promote something that wasn't effective long term.  Well here I am, one week later, and I have absolutely no redness, puffiness, or itchy feeling since I have been using this cream.  At first I had to apply it several times a day because my skin felt tight and dry.  After about 4 days of this -- I only have to apply it 1 to 2 times a day.  Yes, it is VERY expensive.  But I see it as no more expense than the many creams/treatments I have paid  for already that are sitting in my bathroom cupboard!  Or the expense of the co-pay going to the specialist. I have never thought my eyelids and around my eyes could feel so good/normal again.  I am thankful for that!  I only use it on my eyes so I think the $30 - 1oz. container will last for a while.  Like I said before, I had to use a lot initially to get my skin rebalanced, but now am using it sparingly.  I think it is worth the money not to feel miserable and a site to look at anymore!!!  I am thankful to the people who took the time to write a comment about it on this site.  I think it is because there were so many good reviews on the product I was more willing to spend the $ and try it - I am glad I did.( I think I may even try it on my 7 yr olds eczema patches that she has.  Even cortisone is not working on them anymore.)  I know that cortisone is very bad to put on your eyelids (even though dermatologist recommend it - it causes cataracts.  Other eye creams just recommend using them on the skin around the bottom of the eye.  This  cream can be for both and that is why I tried it - I am glad I did.  Let me make one note for those of you who wear makeup.  For the last several years I have not worn eye shadow due to my irritated eyes.  I have continued to use eyeliner and mascara.  I still do not wear eye shadow (just found life easier to live without it!).  I don't know how this cream will affect those of you who do wear eye shadow. I really hope this post helps someone.
I know this is an old topic, but I've been sufferring from the same thing. Happened the first time last summer (which I thought was due to chlorine in the pool) but it just happened again recently after I used some makeup cleansing cloths around my eyes.

Next days following, my lower lids and under eye area were red, swollen, itchy and burning. Best thing that has worked (quickly!) for me has been raw yellow shea butter. Just treat the area, morning and night after mild cleansing, and it started healing up within a couple days. Hope this information helps someone out there!!
After reading people's comments I also recently tried Mario Badescu Control Cream. After suffering with this condition for over 2 years, it was such a relief to find something that worked it took just two days for my eyes to be normal again with no more problems. Fingers crossed now that I ave found a cure , this amazing cream never goes out of production!!
Thank you all who recommended it.
I have had Blepharitis for over 8 years now with little relief.

I tried the Marie Badescu creme for about a week with no success.... just thought I would share that.
hi lpi790 do you drink coffee, tea or soft drinks?
I'm not sure if this thread is still active but I thought I'd share a few observations from the posts.

I too have all the same symptoms listed in each post. I believed the cause of my reaction was allergy related. A reaction to either a moisturiser with a high SPF in it or pets. Ilater decided that it was multiple things - reaction to a new product, weakend immune system making me susceptible to allergens and possibly a fungal infection, caused also by lowered immune system and poor diet at the time (love my chocolate and dairy products!)

I think that dealing with these symptoms has to be an accumalitive approach - in other words, you may never know the fundamental reason for your flare up so treat for everything. I now have a flare up kit which contains a bottle of tea tree oil, athletes foot ointment, candida oral medication, vaseline and anti-histamines.

I haven't been able to definitely say what the problem is but I have identified some common factors - it flares up when I am extremely tired for a prolonged period of time, stressed, and when my diet has been high in sugar. I honestly think that these factors cause my immune system to weaken resulting in me being hyper-sensitve to allergens and infection. Added to the high sugar intake, infections like Candida are pretty likely. It is bad luck that I used a strong moisturiser I happened to be allergic to at a time when I had other issues underlying which had yet to come to the fore. When you look at the equation -

tired + poor diet x weak immune system + allergens = infection (candida/fungal). The irritation can also result in dermititis which would explain the patches of dry skin in other areas.

In all of these cases posted I would have first and foremost ceased using any new products that could have caused a reaction, taken anti-histamines to combat the build up of histamine in your system, apply an anti-fungal cream or tea tree oil to the area, address life style issues such as sleep pattern and diet - do these simultaneously. If after 2 weeks none of these things bring about an improvement then I would suspect that it's a stimuli induced reaction and you will need to figure out what the stimuli is.

The good thing about anti-fungal treatment for athlete's foot is that it kills any infection whilst simultaneously moisturising the area. Most eye damage is a result of drying and parching the area, but you also have to be careful not give any infection a nice, moist home to thrive in. So, athletes foot treatment is a good multi-purpose treatment to start with.

Hope that everyone is doing better as many of these posts are quite old.
Actually I had experiencing the same problem right now but never give up searching proper cream even my husband told me that I'm wasting my money! Even antihistamine prescribed by the doctor not enough to relieve my face allergy around my face, eyes and neck! And I'm so upset about it! But never give up! Sometimes oatmeal with water and a spoon of aloe Vera helps  for cleansing but still on and off itchy and sensitive face with all moisturizer cream. Then I never remembered that I used prednisone tablet before when I had sun allergy ! Then a client told me about it then I went to medicenter I asked for it. Just for a day or two days my redness slowly healing and sensitivity of my skin lesser and I saw one cream helps me a lot " aloe Vera skin gel" that I'm using at night and prevex 200+ cream day time for skin protection against food, cosmetic and weather condition. Plus I went for blood testing and allergy testing . Hope this will help you guys .
i have suffered from this for  years on and off will try what you recommended hope it works for me. sharon. i had a look online i cannot find it?
Just wanted to add my experience with this.  I am a 43 year old man who up to this past year did not have any skin issues besides the occasional zit or blind pimple - honestly the only "product" I put on my face on occasion is Stridex (yup even at 43) as needed .  About 7-8 months ago I started to get bright redness around my eyes (eyelids, above eyelids, under eyes) - kinda looked like Alice Cooper :-)  Over time I it started to get very dry and scaly as well (never had pain or itch however).  I eventually saw my doctor about it who prescribed me a cortisone cream which worked for a little bit, but I was concerned about cortisone near the eyes.  I eventually saw a dermatologist who prescribed me something called Elidel (non-steroid replacement for the cortisone stuff).  It worked well till I stopped using it and the redness and dryness came back.  My dermatologist as well as my wife suggested to use a moisturizer (Cerave) to work against the dryness. Crazy thing was that I think I must be allergic to something in it because using Cerave alone my eyelids swelled - looked like I got punched in both eyes.  I stopped that stuff and the swelling went away, but the bright red around my eyes and dryness persisted.  Frustrated I searched the web and found this forum.  I read through all 260+ messages, and picked up on the fact that people were having good luck with the Mario Badescu control cream.  Figured I'd give it a try - got a sample at Ulta (very cool they do samples) and you know what - the stuff worked.  Redness and dryness went away. Right now I'm using a tiny bit in the morning and at night and so far so good.  My intent is to wean myself off it completely and see what happens, but I am impressed that it actually worked (my wife is amazed as well). Plus even though $30 an ounce isn't cheap, it's a lot cheaper than the Elidel ($80 per tube after insurance) and doesn't have the crazy side effects that cortisone and Elidel can potentially have. I know that Basalm of Peru in the Mario Badescu stuff is actually an allergen to a lot of people - the Paula's Choice makeup website my wife showed me thinks poorly of it. But ya know, it works for me.  Different people react differently to things (for instance, so far I don't get reactions from poison ivy :-).  But am happy to have run across this forum and suggestions.  I can only imagine the folks who've dealt with this for a long time and have empathy for them. Anyways hope the best for everyone having this issue, and will drop another note in a few months and see whether I can wean myself off this stuff totally as well (or whether I have a Q-tip disaster at some point in putting this stuff around my eyes :-)
What a sensible, practical attitude you have!  Sure, different people react to different things,  but if something a product works for you--well, there's no arguing with that.

I hope your good results continue.
Please can you tell me where i can buy the mario badescu control cream, have they stopped making it?
I Emailed Mario Badescu as I have been ordering control cream for 3 years. They have not d/c it but they are 'reformulating' it. It's the only thing that's seemed to help my eyes and behind my ears. After reading this forum I am going to try tinactin. It makes sense it is candida related.

I have recently just discovered what has finally worked for me, for the past 6 months i have suffered swollen, itchy, dry and sore eyelids, and i tried going to the doctor who told me it was a form of Eczema and perscribed me an emollient that didn't work, and not only did it not work it made my eyelids worse!!

Than i decided to go to the health store and buy a whole heap of products that didn't have harsh ingredients in them only natural oils and perfume free, this helped a little and it got better but it did not get rid of it, at least i could go out without bright red eyelids at least.

Then for some reason i thought one day i'd just try putting Vaseline on at night. I did this after putting cold teabags on my eyes for half an hour then layering on thick Vaseline. OMG i'd found my cure, just simple everyday Vaseline did it, mind you it's best to use it at night because you have to layer it on real thick, and it took about three days for my eyelids to look like they were back to normal. Amazing! My mum has always told me Vaseline is an amazing product that has so many uses and is a product that no one seems to embrace!

Try it for a week on your eyelids and you will see the difference.

Good Luck.
I'm 15 and have always had seasonal allergies as well as to cats, dust, and a few other things. The inside of my eyes itched for years but when i was younger either the antihistamine eyedrops worked or my allergies werent severe enough to bother me. Last year my allergies got much worse, no eyedrops or medicine would stop the itching. I went to the doctor who prescribed steroid eyedrops. the bottle says Pred Mild but idk the official name. these didnt work and i was worried about the side affects. my eyes itched, but nothing else happened so i just waited for the season to end and it was fine by september/october ish. this year my allergies got even worse. one day i went to bed with itchy eyes, as usual, and woke up the next morning with extremely swollen, sore, dry/flaking, and red eyelids. I went to the doctor and i told him i thought it was allergies. he agreed and prescribed a $350 eczema cream which we didnt get and some steroid pills that i was reluctant to try because when my dad used them, they deprived him of sleep. he literally could not sleep all night. This medicine was for the swelling, which went down alot by the next morning so i decided not to get those pills either. i did get some allergy eyedrops for the itch inside my eyes but those didnt work. My eyes would puff up like this whenever i would rub my eyes before bed. Not only were they puffy but really red and after the swelling went down the redness stayed. i have to go to school and it's seriously bright red so i had no chouce but to wear concealer (which ive worn for years and am not allergic to) and the redness is still here as well as really itchy eyelids. Aquaphor (a petroleum jelly cream) helps with the dryness. i try to resist itching them but i let myslef lightly itch them sometimes which probably prolongs the redness. I am going to try switching my shampoos and see what happens. hopefully my parents will agree to take me to get a proper allergy tests and hopefully the allergy shots (which are the only possible cure)
I realise it's two years since you posted your message, but I have exactly the same problem (including cracked and weeping ears!). After you mentioned the ingredients in shampoos, I thought the culprit was a new one I'd recently been using (and could still be), but I just wondered if you have a memory foam pillow, as this has been suggested as a possible cause, and mine is over 8 years old. I have also ordered some "Mario Badescu Control Creme", and I'm hoping that will sort out the skin problem.
I have the problem right now with just one eye being red all around and puffy with a more red spot of puffiness just under the eye about 1/2 down. I did cry for days so thinking it might have something to do with that.. not sure. Help? The other thing I wanted to say is I had the scaly red swollen thing with both eyes for years and it was always around Christmas time and lasted for months. Went to 3 skin doctors, had allergy tests done, no answers. I started thinking about allergies and what do I do that time of year? For one, I get out my wool but I get it out 2-3 months before Christmas. It does make me itch but thought that's what happens with everyone, no big deal. So, I stopped wearing it that year, didn't even touch anything and I didn't have it. Same thing next year, problem solved. Asked my skin doctor and he said but we tested you for that? I said, well, I guess the test didn't work, right? Never had that problem again and I don't wear wool at all. It takes time for your resistance to really YELL at you, so it took a couple of months for it to build up and then go crazy on me, especially when I don't wear it any other time of year. So hope this helps someone! It was horrible for me to go through the holidays like that EVERY year!! Had to wear sunglasses indoors. That's fun at parties!
I looked up the Mario Badescu Control Cream, they took the original product off the market because they did not list steroids in the ingredients, now you know why it was so good.  But anyway, I have the same problem as the rest of you and have narrow it down to a fungal infections.  I thought I would share how I have controlled it.  I started off using Monistat 7, yes the product for women's yeast infection, I used a thin layer 2x a day (yes on my eyelid) for a view days and then 1x a day for an additional 5 days, because we all know it takes a good 7 days to clear up a yeast infection even though you fill a lot better in a couple of days. It did completely clear up, but a couple weeks later it came back, full force.  Then it hit me, I was cleaning out my dog's ears who has chronic yeasty ears until I tried a product called Zymox. It's a natural enzymatic Solution that destroy's yeast.  On my 3rd day and the infection is 90% gone. It also contains 1% Hydrocortisone so it stops the irritation and itching.  One of the ingredients is a emzymes found in natural tears to combat infections.  They also make a shampoo, ear cleanser, and cream.  I just ordered the cream. My dog has been free of ear infections for a year now, just read the reviews on the product on Amazon. I was spending $60-100 on antifungal products for her and then came across this procduct for around $12.  Dog ears have a very thin layer of skin, so I can't imagine why you could not use this product on your eyelid making sure you don't get it in your eyes.  I will keep you posted on my progress with treating the condition.
5 Days later and my eyelid is completely back to normal. I ordered the Zymox cream and will continue to use it for at least a couple of more days.  The wrinkle are all gone and I going to try and wear some make up today.  Just one other thing, I used a product called CapriClear(Coconut Oil) after a couple of days, it help to moisturize my eyes and get rid of the scaling.  I think Aquaphor would do the same.  Very happy with the results.
I know this thread is old, but I've gotten a lot of help here and wanted to post what I've learned.  First of all, for red, inflamed eyelids, I used Sudocrem-- you can get it on Amazon.  Like a diaper creme, but it's amazing for pretty much any skin problems.  I put it on at home and let it sit on the skin for hours- as long as possible.  I also had puffy tear ducts, and for that I used salt water rinses.  I used my neti pot (STERILIZE FIRST!), made up a solution of 1 tsp sea salt in 1 c of water, and flushed my eyes with this in the shower.  

I believe that my infection is fungal-- is it red, itchy, and burning?  It might be a fungus.  Fungus loves a warm, wet, dark (dark=no sunlight, artificial light doesn't count) environment.  NEVER GIVE IT ALL THREE.  I believe this condition occurs when the epidermis of sensitive skin is compromised due to an allergy or irritant.  Then a fungus can make itself at home in these breaks in the skin.  Once it's there, it's hard to get it to move out.  Here are my Ten Commandments for dealing with a fungus:

1)  Thou shalt use paper towels to dry thy hands and thy face.  Fungus loves the wet, warm environment of a towel in a bathroom.  Also, wash bath towels after every use in hot water, dry until hot and bone dry.

2)  Thou shalt not hide thy face from the sun.  Sunlight kills fungus.  Thou shalt bathe thy living space in natural light, especially the bedroom and bathroom.

3)  Thou shalt avoideth heavy creams and keep thy eyes dry at night.  Fungus loves a moist environment.  No Vaseline or Aquaphor ever for fungus!  It will spread like wildfire before your eyes.

4)  Thou shalt minimize the intake of alcohol, sugar, and carbohydrates.  These feed the fungus.  Eat lots of vegetables and protein.  If you have been suffering from this rash for years, please Google, "candidiasis".  There is hope and you can recover.

5)  Thou shalt not use harsh chemicals around thy eyes.  Getting rid of this condition is a delicate balancing act of building up the epidermis of the skin and killing the fungus.  Be very careful that what you use to kill the fungus does not unnecessarily degrade the epidermis.

6)  Thou shalt not use eye makeup until the infection recedes.  This can further irritate the delicate skin around the eye.  Be especially careful about anything with sunscreen, or anything with a sparkle to it, even a subtle one.  

7)  Thou shalt throw away old eye makeup.  This can have fungus in it and you can re-infect your eyes.  When you start to use makeup again, get makeup for sensitive skin and use disposable applicators (i.e., qtips, disposable mascara wands, etc.) to apply.

8)  Thou shalt not use a warm washcloth on eyes.  Fungus loves this warm, wet environment and will multiply like mad.  I was doing this based on advice I had read online...it might work for a bacterial infection, but it made my fungal rash firey and red.

9)  Thou shalt not exercise or otherwise sweat indoors or in the dark.  Fungus loves this wet, warm environment.  

10)  Thou shalt keep a diary of treatments to help recognize patterns, and thou shalt continue those treatments that are successful after the infection clears.  Just to make sure it doesn't come back.  

A big thanks to all other posters here, much of this advice helped me tremendously and, of course, it was comforting to know that I wasn't the only one out there with puffy red eyes.
I believe I may have figured out what is going on here, and why my red/puffy/itchy eyes would never fully heal.  I BELIEVE THAT THIS IS A FUNGAL INFECTION OF THE SINUSES, WHICH EVENTUALLY MOVES IN ON THE EYE AREA.  This is why if you are just treating your eyes, you might not be able to get rid of it.  

The way to get rid of the fungal infection of the sinuses is to do nasal irrigation.  You can Google "nasal irrigation" to find out how to do this.  Basically, you get a neti-pot (e.g., online, or at natural food stores), and mix 1/2 tsp salt thoroughly in 1 cup of purified water (e.g., used distilled water, or boil and cool-til-room-temp tap water).  Then tilt your head and pour the salt water in one nostril.  The water will travel through your sinuses and come out the other nostril.  Look for a video online to show you how to do this.  

You should also use the neti-pot with the same salt water solution to flush your eyes.  This salt water should travel through the tear ducts and into the sinuses, thus flushing out the tear ducts.  Flush both eyes and nose twice a day, with one cup of water for each nostril and one cup for each eye.

If you are brave, you can add a few drops of apple cider vinegar to your salt water for both the nasal irrigation and eye flushing.  This will sting, but I think it cleans things up more quickly than salt water alone.

If you have had this for a long time, and have gone to many doctors, and you believe it is a fungal infection, you may have a "fungal ball" of the sinuses.  In this case an ENT (ear nose throat) doctor can image your sinuses and tell you for sure.  If you do have one, they can basically vacuum it out.  Some pretty cool videos of this online.  

Fungus seems to live pretty well in the sinuses.  It's nice and dark in there, and especially if you live in an environment where there is mold, you may be breathing this in and helping the fungus in your sinuses to grow.  

Just one more note.  A number of people here have mentioned that the corners of their mouth are red.  In this case the fungus that causes this probably lives on the tongue.  To get rid of this, scrape your tongue twice a day.  Get a tongue scraper (with the toothbrushes at drug stores).  Put salt all over the tongue, as far back as you can without gagging.  Let sit for 5 minutes or so.  Take the brush part of the tongue scraper and brush the tongue.  Take the scraper part of the scraper and scrape the yucky stuff off the tongue.  Do this until the tongue looks very pink- i.e., if there is a white or yellow film, you want to get all of this off.  

Once you get the fungus out of your mouth/sinuses/tear ducts by the above methods, it is much easier to treat the skin and I think you will find it responding rather quickly to the antifungal creams, etc. that may have partially worked for you before.  

SOLUTION!!! WATER WATER WATER!!!!!!
I've had this a few times and I believed it to be from moisturizer that is too harsh. However this time it moved into my cheek which indicates a fungus ... Why did it spread ? Whatever it is...it's painful and the ONLY way to get rid of it is ... LEAVE IT ALONE !!!
No creams, vinegar, make up.... NOTHING!!!
Rinse face with water only! Do not FEED it! After a few days  it will dry out .
Everything I tried on it made it worse even aquaphor .... Make up... You're skin may feel dry but just stick with it.
So do what I say and it will go within  a few days. If it looks wrinkly this just part of the process ... Be patient !
the first time in my life,my eyelids and the underneath are dry like this, but its my entire face, an i'm 50 yrs old. yesterday my skin was as normal as should be, I do have hydrocortisone crème, BUT, no way would I ever use it,(not even a trace of it)the biggest sde effect from that crème is, it thins your skin, in which case, will give you pre-mature aging"look"wrinkles, just thought i'd should let you know, in case you were not aware of it!,anyone have any suggestions for my dry,cracked,flakey bleeding face,thanks
There is hope!!! My symptoms had gotten so severe on my left eye that I was near desperate and ready to try an Allergy Dr.   But, I decided to make one more attempt and Google my symptoms when I found this forum!  I scrolled and read then scrolled and read many many more of your comments . . . I decided to try one suggestion, using VASELINE CREAM (not the petroleum jelly) along with HYDROCORTISONE 1% CREAM. Mixing these two items 50 / 50 (and it only takes a tiny squeeze of each) - blend together with finger. Apply to eyelid. After my first use, there was improvement!!! There was a brief stinging when first put on my eyelid but, by the third application, no more sting. Soothing relief!!!!! After three days, using both morning / night, my eyelid looks great!  No more swelling, droopy eyelid! No more red, raw, blistered, flaky eyelid!  One other thing I learned, in reading, was that memory foam pillows can also be a contributing factor with the common symptoms which we all seem to share.  One post stated that a memory foam pillow can hold apprx. 61% more allergens/bacteria than a regular bed pillow. I am also tossing my memory foam pillow!    I sincerely hope you find this helpful and wish others the wonderful relief and healing I have found!  
I am 22 and I have the same thing, my right eye has been red, swollen and itchy for the past couple months. My aunt had this also and said she used olive oil on it everyday and it went away after a couple months. I started to use it and definitely recommend it. Although it hasn't cured me yet, it has made my eyes not as red. My eyes don't itch and aren't as swollen. I don't even have the dry flakes but you can still see its a little puffy as well as dry. It also spread a little to my neck, and I started using olive oil on it as well and I really hope it helps. My eyes became red and itchy after I rubbed a little too hard with the makeup remover wipe and I haven't used eye makeup since.  I dip a q-tip into a little container that I put olive oil into and I put it on my eye every morning and night. So far it seems to be helping, I've only been doing it for a month. My eye definitely looks better, I just hope it makes everything go away.
=
I believe you all may have BLEPHARTIS.  Google it and go see an eye doctor who diagnosed me.  This is what my doctor told me to do:  I would recommend for now to avoid harsh soaps on your face and eyelids, as well as makeup that can cause allergy.  Try to clean your eyelids with the following formulation that is the treatment for blepharitis.   Wash hands, place hot/warm water compresses over your closed eyes for 5 minutes (better after a shower), then gently scrub the skin around your upper and lower eyelashes with your fingertip using Ocusoft (or similar) foam (over the counter from any drug store). Then wash with warm water. Do this cleaning twice daily for the first 3 months, and once daily thereafter.  You can buy Ocusoft in Target, Walmart or your local drug store.  It works!  Try it.  

Good advice.
that is a disease of eye lids. simple fix  use baby shampoo to wash eye lids each day and viola it's gone
That is a inaccurate generalization. People with mild blepharitis might use baby shampoo once/week to control but many people have to clean lid several times/day using special cleaners like Ocusoft Platinum Plus cleaner, use warm compresses, take prescription medication like azasite or erythromycin of bacitracin ointment at bed time or even oral tetracycline.