Eye Care Community

Swollen Eyelids after being Outdoors

My eyelids swell up, (itchy, red, etc..) after being mostly outside on the weekends.
During the week while mostly indoors it will clear up. Only to start all over again after the next weekend.
I'm 45 and this first started last may/june.  It was gone over winter but is now starting the cycle again.

I know it is some kind of alergic reaction from being outside, but not sure to what.  Has anyone else experienced this and found something to help?
Discuss with your family MD the use of a oral anti-allergy medication on the weekends, maybe starting Thursday evening. If severe and that doesn't work see an allergist.

For you eyes you can use cool or warm compresses and Zaditor the best over the counter eye drop. If that doesn't work ask your FP or Eye MD to try an RX like Pataday eye drops for allergy

JCH MD
Thank you Dr. Hagan,
I will definitely try starting claritin on Thursdays. Do you happen to know if there are any medications that do Not cause drowsiness? I know the box says they are non drowsy but that really only means less drowsy.
I will also do the drops. I have a prescription for patanol eye drops that I use during the fall hayfever season. It is odd though my eyes are Never this bad during hayfever season!
Thank you again,
You should discuss non drowsy anti-allergy medications with your personal MD

JCH MD