Eye Care Community

TBI with eye problems and cataracts

I have posted this on neurology board too, but need help from cataract Drs. who have knowledge of brain injury, so am posting here as well. I was in a truck accident and my car totalled. Tests show TBI and my eyes are not working in sync. Trouble with binocular focus and depth perception. This is complicated by cataract in right eye, which neuro-optometrist fears will make visual rehab more difficult. He mentions possibility of double vision from visual rehab, and cataract surgeon mentions the same issue from a totally different perspective. NEITHER of them has worked with combo of TBI and cataract. Does ANYONE have experience with this, and know where I and my Drs. can get more info so that my TBI brain can adjust to both surgery and rehab?
TBI= traumatic brain injury.  There are no neuro-optometrists. Optoms are not physicians and are limited care proficers. You saw a neuro-ophthalmologist.

If both your neuroopthalmologist and cataract surgeon are concerned with post op double vision then it must be a real concern. Normally the mechanism would be some damage to the nerves that move the eye often the 3rd or 6th cranial nerve.

Most of the patients that I have managed with cataracts and brain injuries have double vision post op if they had double vision pre op and no double vision post op if they did not have double vision pre op.

Generally if an eye has poor vision it's hard for the brain to track the two into single vision. Making one eye see better by taking the cataract off frequently improves double vision.

JCH III MD