Eye Care Forum

TED

December 2005 Orbital Decompression - surgery done at GWU in Washington DC - also eye alignment (right eye was in downward position) - December 2006 Orbital decompression thru sinus cavity - both eyes - April 2007 Muscle Surgery - alignment (prior to surgery left eye down - right eye up) - current writing date August 2007 - it has been 4 months since last surgery and right eye is still in the upward position (looking up) - extreme tearing - eye drainage so bad it keeps me awake at night - the tears "burn and itch" - excessive swelling and buldging STILL!!!! Is there something that can be done?  This is a horrible, horrible disease.  I wear sunglasses almost 100% of the time - even at night if I am out in public - obviously I look ridiculous with them on but look horrific with them off - so it is the lesser of two evils.  Please advise.  Thanks!
Why did you have the orbital decompression? Grave's Disease? Orbital pseudotumor? Other?

Most cases are Grave's Disease due to hyperthyroidism. It's often a progressive disease. Often systemic treatment is needed including oral steroids, or orbtial irradiation.

You're at a fine medical school with a strong department of Ophthalmology. You may need more surgery including recession of the eyelid retractors.

JCH III MD  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.