Eye Care Community

Third Nerve Stroke of the Eye

I have been reading several posts on the Third Nerve Stroke of the Eye. This is the second time in 4 yrs. that my husband has had this happen. The first time he started with the bad headaches, then the double vision, then the uncontroled eye. We went to the Neouro, Optim. every test was run. He said nothing is going on it had to run it's course, recovery could take up to 3-6 mos.  he recoverd in 6 weeks.The Dr. said it could happen again. Now it has happend again 4 yrs. later, this time no headaches, he had the double vision, now the left eye kind of pulls toward the nose. Can you tell me what causes this and why did it happen so soon after the last episode. He is 56 is very healthy, good diet, no high blood pressure, below normal chlorestrol ,maybe about 50 lbs. over weight (not good). He did have Bells Palsay about 20 yrs. ago.
3rd nerve palsys  are often very serous and can be due to tumors, strokes, diabetes and the like. So in that sense you are luckly nothing that dire showed up.  At times no cause can be found, that is called "idiopathic 3rd nerve palsy"

Its very unusual to have two of them. He may need to be re-evaluated as sometimes things show up the second time but not the first.
\
Hope he isn't a smoker because "small strokes" due to tobacco use are a common cause.

JCH MD