Eye Care Forum

Vision Impairment after cosmetic laser treatment

I have been receiving laser hair removal for the past 11 months. My last two treatments were done with a new, stronger laser. The nurse performing the procedure placed small round eye covers for protection. At the last session I noticed I could see more of the laser, even with my eyes closed and the covers on, but wasn't concerned because I felt no pain. After the procedure was competed I noticed my vision was a bit blurry and cloudy. The manager said my eyes were just adjusting to the light and my vision would return to normal in a few minutes. I went home and called after an hour when my vision did not return to normal. After a short nap, I woke to find my vision was not bothering me- I put on my prescription lenses and felt fine. Well when I went back to recieve my next laser treatment 7 weeks later I mentioned my concerns and the nurse said she never heard of that kind of reaction and was sure it would'nt happen again. Unfortunately after the same procedure I experienced a similar reaction, only this time my vision wasn't really blurred it was just cloudy. This continued until the next day. Presently I have begun to experience even more significant vision problems. My vision goes in and out of focus and I feel like my eyesight has severely diminsished. The last few days I have had twitching in my right eye. I stopped using my prescription glasses because I just got new lenses and frames a few weeks ago and thought my vision problems could also be related to that. What do you think? Please help. P.S. I am going to see an optomostrist soon.
Dear gsdowner,

There are various types of lasers which are used for hair removal.  Lasers use light energy to deliver energy to the hair follicles so that the hair will not regrow.  The eyeshields are placed so as to not obtain energy to the eye.  The lasers will vary in the wavelength of light used and depending on the wavelength, some lasers may affect the front surface of the eye, the cornea while others may cause damage to the back, the retina. Twitching of the eyes is usually a muscular spasm.  When you see the eye doctor, make sure to tell him/her about the type of vision loss, it is for the distance or for close up,  and the type of laser used.

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.