Eye Care Forum

Vitrectomy after Cataract IOL Implant

Is it dangerous to have a Vitrectomy for floaters after an IOL replacement.  The eye didn't have a cataract, but my other eye did and I could no longer wear a contact lens so I had the lens with the floaters replaced.  I'm aware that the pressure of the fluid pumped into the eye during the Vitrectomy pushes against the lens and in this case the IOL.  Is this dangerous to my vision, inter-occular pressure and will it change my vision after the Vitrectomy in the eye with the IOL lens replacement?

Thank you
Dear hsum4,

A vitrectomy is a surgical procedure in which the vitreous jelly inside of the eye is removed.  Floaters result from an aging process where the jelly shrinks.  In most cases, floaters are annoying and over time, become less noticeable.  When associated with symptoms a sudden change in the number of floaters occurs, one may have a retinal detachment which requires immediate treatment.  Most of the time floaters do not require surgical intervention.  

Dr. Feldman

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California

Dear Doctor Feldman:

I appreciate your answer, but what if I decide to go ahead and do the Vitrectomy because the IOL has made the floaters even more noticeable and hard for me to see.  It is dangerous to take out these floaters in view of the fact that my eyesight is comprimised?  I can't see out of this eye in the sun as the floaters block my vision.  I was told the procedure has become safer and someday will be as safe as cataract removal.  What happens down the road as you age after a Vitrectomy?

Thank you
I'm in a similar situation to yours except in reverse order.  I had a Vitrectomy in each eye for floaters only and now have a cataract in one eye.  I'm also wondering if the lack of vitreous will affect my vision with one IOL or another.  By the way, one of the best decisions of my life, but still a tough choice to make.  If it bothers you that much...?  
Hi:  My name is barbara and i have annoying vitreous floaters with pvd.  Just diagnosed pvd.  Would it be possible for me to get a vitrectomy?  I also have scar tissue would that be erased as well?  Thank you.  How successful are vitrectomies?  and does anyone in pennsylvania do vitrectomies?  
I do not mean to make any one feel bad at all , but I do not understand how a doctor could recommend these vitrectomies. I woul not let any one do anything to my eye, if it were not necessary.

I lost most of my vison in my left eye, because of 5 surgeries and retinal detachments.
My new ophthalmologist said the best thing for the survival of that eye now is to leave it alone. My retinologist agrees.

I think it will be a long time before you know the full effect of having a vitrectomy. I do not mean that any of you have been damaged by one, but I believe that a vitrectomey can increase your chances of a retinal detachment. I hope nothing like that happens to any of you. Learn the signs of a retinal detachment, including flashes, floaters. Learn how to cup each eye as you look in all 4 directions, for a huge floater in the periphery. It is always called a curtain, but I think that is not a good comparison. It is more like an irregular piece of smoky glass, that obstructs you vision.

Also, a vitrectomy can make floater worse, in som circumstances.
Dear hsum4

For retinal surgeons who perform vitrectomies all the time, they can be quite skilled at this procedure.  However, all surgeries including vitrectomy are associated with some risk. One of the major risks is a retinal detachment which can occur at any time.  Other risks include bleeding in the eye as well high pressure.  I think one of the answers you have received outlines this risk. I would speak more with your retinal specialist especially regarding the benefits and risks and the times that the floaters affect your vision.  Most people with floaters report improvement and less bother over time.  

Sandy T. Feldman, M.D., M.S.
ClearView Eye and Laser Medical Center
San Diego, California
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
Eye whitening, iris color change, and eyeball "bling." Eye expert Dr. John Hagan warns of the dangers from these unnecessary surgeries.
Eye expert John Hagan, MD, FACS, FAAO discusses factors to consider and discuss with your eye care team before embarking on cataract surgery.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Got dry eyes? Eye drops aren't the only option! Ophthalmologist John C. Hagan III, MD explains other possible treatments.