Aa
A
A
A
Close
Eye Care Community
21.9k Members

Vitrectomy

Hi I am 28 yrs old and about 2 years ago I had a retinal tear causing my vision to become cloudy. I had the lazer treatment done and in about 2 months my vision was better. I have juvenile retinoschisis and my opthamologist said the tear was from eye strain. About 6 months later it happened again causing my vivion to be lost again. I had the lazer treatment  and a few months later the fogginess cleared again. Since the 1st time this occured, about every 2 months almost to the day, just out of nowhere I will notice a bunch of new floaters and within 1 hour my vision will become so foggy i cant even see out on the eye. My family doctor even checked me for diabetes, that test being negative, my opthamologist has suggested that i have a Vitrectomy to remove scar tissue and the vitreous fluid. I think im all out of options and this is my last hope to try and prevent this from happening again, because it seems like as soon as my vision clears it happens again. I have tried homeopathic remedies as well as perscription drugs and nothing helps.. The hemmorage keeps reoccuring. Im up in the air about what to do because I have heard that about %18 of people who have Vitrectomy surgery have complications. My vision is 20/200 in both eyes but now with my one eye all foggy it makes it even harder tio see. I just dont want to end up worse than before. Can anyone give me a good site to check out about this surgery because I want to make sure im reading all of the right things and not some bogus information. From what ive seen it looks very painful and I know I wouldnt be able to watch them insert objects into my eye without going absolutley crazy.
Thank you soo much for your help.
3 Responses
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Your concerns are understandable. I suggest you ask your surgeon to refer you to a respected colleage for a second opinion or go to www.aao.org and find a retina surgeon near you to go in to see for a second opinion.  Your symptoms suggest recurrent bleeding in the eye.

JCH MD
thank you for the advice. I tried the website but it is for American states only and I live in Canada.. I was told Dr Fouad Tayfour would be doing the surgery. i dont know if you know him or not but he is supposed to be really good. I live in windsor ontario and when I was young i had to go up to london ontario to the hospital up there twice a year for testing on my eyes.Do you think a vectroctomy is a good option for someone with re occuring bleeding in the eye?  My opthamologist says that is the only option but if there is something else that you know of that may help I can bring it up to him because I have to go and see him on thursday for another lazer treatment because my eye blead again a few days ago.
Thanks again.
233488 tn?1310696703
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I am not familiar with Canadian vitreous surgeons, nor is it possible to determine what treatment you need. I do know than many Canadians come across the border to the USA for vitreo-retinal surgery. There are many excellent places much closer than London like Mayo Clinic, U of Michigan, U of Wisconsin, etc.

JCH MD
Have an Answer?
Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511758844
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.