Eye Care Community

WHO GIVES THE BEST EYE CARE IN THE WORLD

There are many questions posted here by people with very complex eye problems or things that are very difficult to diagnose. I'm often asked WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE IN THE WORLD FOR THESE EYE PROBLEMS.

Each year academic eye surgeons are polled about their opinion of the best programs in the USA (which put them on a par with anywhere in the world). Here is the 2008 list as published in the October 15, 2008 Ophthalmology Times>

BEST OVERALL OPHTHALMOLOGY PROGRAMS:
1. Bascom Palmer Eye Institute of U of Miami
2. Wilmer Eye Institute of John Hopkins University
3. Wills Eye Hospital/Thomas Jefferson University
4. Duke University
5. Jules Stein Eye Institute/UCLA
6. (tie) Beckman Vision Center/U Cal San Francisco  AND WK Kellogg Eye Center U of Michigan
8. U of Iowa and Emory Eye Center/ Emory University
10. Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary/Harvard

This does not mean that every complex or difficult problem needs to trek to these centers as there are literally hundreds of other fine centers, hospitals, clinics and outstanding ophthalmologists in private practice.

Nevertheless because this comes up so much I wanted to post this list. I'm pleased that the program that I trained in (Emory Eye Center) is listed in the top ten in all lists: Best overall Program, Best Research Programs, Best Ophthalmology Residency and Best Clinical-Patient Care Programs.

JCH MD
Based on my personal experience (and I've had four eye surgeries), who you see is so much more important than where s/he practices.  All practioners at any institution (even the best ones) are not equally skilled.  I think that local ophthalmologists are the best source of information about which area doctors are the best.  I live in a city where Castle-Connolly does extensive ratings, and their data base (www castleconnolly com) has never let me down.
I agree as I said:

JCH MD
Emory is an exemplary university on all accounts. My favorite Yale-graduate professor moved there from UT, because being at UT made him the black sheep of his Yale-educated family.

He is the most brilliant person I have ever met, (in addition to looking like a blonde Jeremy Irons).

Seriously, he is very important and world in the world of English literature.

Emory has been well-respected for many, many years.

A great alma mater.
I wholeheartedly agree with your comments on nlevels of expertise at any facility for the eyes.  I must say that I've had very little success here in the Chicago area getting a good referral from any eye doctor I've seen.  Most every time the referral is just to give a name, and not a qualified individual.  Perhaps a sign of the times, litigation issues, etc.  I also note from my nearly three years of experience that the top places for eye care listed by Doctor Hagan may be strapped to provide sufficient time to help the patient.  I've had exposure to one very high on that list, and was very disappointed in their herd like treatment of patients, and particularly new ones.  A fellowship doctor saw me first, and he dilated my pupils before I was to take a field test!  I didn't know he was dilating, thought he was getting ready to test my IOP's. When I told him of the impossibility of taking a field test with dilation, he said 'I'll just get you stronger glasses'!!!  A senior physician interceded later and needless to say, I did not take a field test.  Moral of this story-one must be very prepared when seeing the eye specialists, no matter their 'credentials' or you will get much less than what you expect.Russell903  
-
I, too, have experienced less then ideal care at "top places" (and incurred additional expense in airfare and hotel stays).  A few lessons that I've learned along the way to get the most from your appointment.

1) Do not schedule a time on Mondays or close to lunchtime.

2) Make certain that an ophthalmologist makes the referral and provides a written summary of your case (seems that peer referral commands better attention than self referral)

3) Bring a typed list of most relevant symptoms and questions - make certain that they are succinct and focused.

4) You can request that no medical students, residents, or fellows examine your eyes or give you drops until you see the physician on your case.

5) Dress professionally, and act mannerly - be assertive when called for, but be friendly too.

In this day of assembly-line health care, a patient must prepare adequately for an appointment and be attentive to all details or bring an advocate who can.
Good suggestions all.

JCH MD
Not surprisingly the above list are ALL teaching hospitals. Afterall they have better facilities, resources and funding. But I would think the better doctors are the ones with their own private practices (generally apply to other professions as well). And many private doctors serve as expert consultants at the teaching hospitals.
-
I concur w/the general sentiment that the quality of care given at the "best" hospitals in no way diminishes that of the care given at other institutions. :)
I have had terrible luck both with 3 doctors in private practice and I at a teaching hospital.
Some of them had skills, maybe all of them. But many had poor judgement and ethics. One had severe mental problems. The 1 at the teaching hospital was overworked and told me so--county hospital. He was too busy to help me, and told me so. So I don't blame him.

The doctors in private practice often seem to be guided by money and politics. They believe patients are not smart enough to complain, so they are really responsible to no one. I saw 3 doctors in private practice who are maybe OK or good.
I tend not to be at my professional best when  I have lost most of the vision in one of my eyes. I live in a casual university town, and when I am not working I wear perfectly coordinated expensive casual clothes. Take me or leave me. My doc used this to look down at me. My eye doc was intimidated by my typed list.He was also intimidated however, when I dressed up and wore good jewelry (because I had an appointment elsewhere, also.)

I agree with you. Not all of them are nuts like the doc I had.

I started to agree with you, but what are you saying? I am always excellently prepared and charming, too. Maybe that is my fault.I do not feel I have to dress up, because I know how capable and accomplished I am. I see.

What if we were indigent persons who had not facilities to type our notes? Are you saying that this is like a meeting with a lawyer or a banker? I think you are and that is what I have perceived. So sad.

I run educational programs for disadvantaged adults. I see no excuse for judging people by their clothes, etc. It is your perception, not your belief. Again, so sad.