What is this perfect clear circle in my central vision that does not float?

I intend to go in as soon as I am vaccinated for Covid (my husband is high risk), but I've been trying to look online for answers for weeks to no avail. I am a 56 year old woman. I wear 2.0x readers, have a slight astigmatism and need no distance vision correction. I have no major health issues. I have cobweb floaters and about 10 scintillating scotomas per year, mostly without migraines. I have palinopsia, blue field entopic phenomena and all the other things extra sensitive people seem to get, but I am not a hypochondriac.

About 3 years ago, I noticed outside once that a white sign with black letters looked "sparkly." It went away quickly. About a year ago, I noticed that when I looked down at something close up, like at my upper chest, I would get this same "sparkle" vision for 5 minutes. Eventually it started sticking around long enough to realize it was only in my right eye (though I saw it once in September in my left). Now it's just there all the time in my right eye. It is a perfectly round small clear spot that never moves from my central vision. It is made up of a ton of smaller perfect clear circles. I can see it clearly when I blink but my left eye corrects for it some when my eyes are open. If I try to read text through my right eye with the left closed, it is blurrier than it used to be because the "sparkles" get in the way of clear vision.

It is not gray or cloudy in the slightest. I'd say it mostly closely resembles a small clear (with black edge) perfect circle made up of smaller circles (with black edges) of visual snow, but it does not sparkle or move (like visual snow does) when I look at the spot itself by blinking. It has one small black line in it too. When looking close up at anything black on a white surface, like black letters on a white piece of paper, where the black and white meet, I see a thin black and white checkerboard. This is why I call it sparkle vision, because the black and white close together vibrate a bit. It isn't actually sparkly like a scintillating scotoma. Since this appears progressive, and I have seen it once in my left eye, I fear my vision is going to degrade badly if it's in both eyes eventually. I have looked at an Amsler grid and I see no wavy lines, just a checkerboard where the black lines of the grid meet the white of the paper.

What could it be?
First of all it is not possible to give you a diagnosis for your problem. You do need to see an eye MD ophthalmologist for a complete medical eye exam with dilation of pupils. You also need an Amsler Grid test, Visual field test, macula and nerve fiber layer OCT test. If these are negative and you want to push for a more definitive diagnosis you may need referred to a Eye MD retina specialist for a fluorescein angiogram. If these are negative you may need to see a neuro-ophthalmologist or neurologist for tests that might include a MRI/MRA of the head and even an EEG.   That is the best I can do with your symptoms.
Thank you! I appreciate your comment and will carry it with me to the eye doctor when I can go. I wasn't really looking for a diagnosis and I do understand I need to have my eyes thoroughly examined. What I'm wondering is do my symptoms sound familiar and/or does anything I said point in any particular direction. I hoped that someone might have heard of someone with similar symptoms since I can't find much.

For instance, I tend to think that they fact that it used to only appear when I was looking down, and would slowly (over about 5 minutes at first and then longer and longer over time) fade away points more to some sort of  issue that movement of my eyes could affect rather than a neurological issue. Also, the fact that when it went away, my vision went totally back to normal and stayed normal until the next occurance points away from some of the more normal progressive diseases.
I wish you the best. If a cause is found, please come back and post as a learning experience for all using this forum.

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community