Eye Care Community

Why do my eyes feel weird looking at certain objects?

Recently, I have discovered this new feeling related to my eyes. The feeling is hard to discribe but its quite strange.

When I look at certain objects such as trees, spears or anything pointy/sharp, I get this feeling within my eyes. This feeling forces me to look away from the object. I wouldnt call the feeling pain its more discomfort.

Sounds really weird but I dont have a clue what it could be related too. If I had to discribe the feeling, imagin someone holding a pin to your eye and slowing moving it forward, your reaction would be to look away, thats the best I can discribe it.

Hope you can help.

Mark
Well that is probably the closest description of this problem that I have found. It is good to have examples to give to my doctor, maybe then he will do something more that just send me to an eye doctor.
I have created a facebook page (lookingatsharpobjects) The page is brand new, but maybe we can discuss there further. Because up to this day, my life is still a hell (looking at my eye pain). Every day from waking up till sleeping, pain, pain, pain. You can like or post to the page and I will try to maintain it and post everything I can find
Hello everyone

Like all of you, I've been suffering from this disease since childhood.
I read this and I have been researching for over a year all in different sites.
When I have some time to be able to share with you my experiences and my thoughts on the subject. I'm from Spain and I can hardly express in English.

At the moment I would only ask you a question to anyone who can answer. Do You notice improvement during the summer months? I have a couple of pretty good months and I wonder if it's just to be in the summer or maybe in other circumstances or coincidences.

Best wishes to you all
And I thought I'd be the only one!  I can't look at things pointing towards me like when someone points a pen at you or a corner of paper/book pointing towards you.  I also can't look at graph paper, ruled paper with dark lines against white.  Windscreen wipers moving across the windscreen.  I was choosing glasses at a local store last night, they were all on the racking, each was held up by bars on the racking, I felt the top of my eyes hurt, felt sick and had to move right away, even thinking about it now is hurting my eyes.  I've had this since I was a child but it seems to be getting progressively worse now I'm in my mid 40's.  Does this fit in with others?  What's the course of action?  I'm in the UK.
Thanks to Cattrina77, who sent this in a message:

It´s called Visual Looming Syndrome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_looming_syndrome
Another thanks to Cattrina for the wikipedia link.  Wow...there it is.  I haven't visited here for so long because my son has really improved over the last few years...or has learned to deal with it.  However, I do believe his diet change after the positive celiac blood test has improved his issues with SEES.    Interesting that it may be linked to Celiac Disease as my son is most likely celiac.

Very interesting!

Carol
i have the same type of phobia that you are suffering . It ruined my entire life. help me . My email id: ***@****
I have had the problem since I was 5 years old and now I am 16 today but every corner or pointy object it hurts my eyes can you recommend any thing to help me.
=
My 19 year old son suffers from this. Are there any solutions? Or anything to help him? Does anyone know the cause? I would really appreciate any information as he says it is progressively getting worse! Please help. Thanks in advance.
=
Had this since I was a small child
Used to say to my parents
I've got edges
=
I experience the same thing! Only not with real objects. But when i daydream or thing about sharp/pointy things, but not all the time. Sometimes i don't experience it at all.
=
I can't believe other people have this problem. I am 23 and have had this since about 10 or 11. I always felt uncomfortable around pointy objects; forks knives and pencils or pens being the worst. I knew it wasn't a phobia as such as I don't really feel fear, just an intense urge to shield my eyes or hide them as I acutely aware they might get damaged.

It is definitely worse when I'm tired, everything seems much more pointy and jumps out me more and when I go to sleep when I first close my eyes I see flashes of knives and needles aggressing at my eyes, not nice at all!

I remember it was always bad but one day I walked straight into one of those metal posts that products in shops are displayed on and it went in my eye (I'm only short), after that it was much worse. I also have rhinitis which I guess might be linked as always have sinus problems, and I did hit my head badly as a child...

I hate it when people point their index finger at me too, it feels like the rudest most aggressive thing ever to me. The worse is action films or horror movies, which I love but during any fight scene live in constant fear someone will attack the other person's eyes. I remember in the new Alice in wonderland the monster's eyes keep getting attacked by a sword and I hated it. Any form of recorded eye operation makes me dizzy, really hot and panicky - once I was trapped at the end of a row in a lecture theatre when my lecturer put a slide up of an eye operation and I couldn't escape so had to hide in my jumper, everyone thought I was mad.

I try and avoid looking at things pointing at eyes but the one time I did was during One Hour Photo with Robin Williams. It's not even about eyes but when he was decompensating he runs into a conference room with a laser eye surgery slide up, it pops up out of no where and I immediately burst into hysterical tears. I think that was when my partner realised I wasn't just being a hypochondriac haha.

I actually spread this phobia via social learning to my friend who I grew up really closely with - hers is more of a true phobia however rather than SEES. My boyfriend's aunt is a hypnotherapist and I am desperate for her to try and help me! Still can't believe other people have this issue!
As one thoughtful poster suggested just a few messages ago, google or wikipedia "visual looming syndrome."  It sounds like the best explanation for many who have posted here.
=
The first time I remember this happening was while watching someone run through the woods on TV and I had to look away.  I can't look at the blinds in my house without feeling discomfort and most of the other things people mentioned also cause the issue.  I have also had frequent migraines or at least really bad headaches sine I was a kid.  I was having an episode this week while in the woods with my kids and decided to google it thinking I was the only one.  This just goes to prove whatever you are experiencing someone else is dealing with it too.
Well it happends to me its when i got to the store and i look at those hooks and the corners of like table and dressers and other pointy stuff its freaking annoing
=
Yes. Search for pain looking at sharp objects on facebook
=
Yes!  My son is the same age and experiences the exact same things you describe!
Like so many of us in this thread I have finally found others with the same problem of Sharp Edge Eye Syndrome (SEES) or Visual Looming Syndrome (VLS). I had been searching occasionally for several years but only just now found this. If anyone is doing peer to peer research on this problem, feel free to contact me at ***@****. I'll briefly add my symptoms, experiences and medical background to this list of comments.

I first experienced this problem when I was 20 while sitting in a college class. At the time it seemed like anxiety and still does feel somewhat related to anxiety, though I've never sought medical attention for any of these related problems. I am now 26 and the SEES/VLS had progressively worsened until several weeks ago when it got significantly worse.

I am normal weight, no medical problems, no previous neurological/musculatory/physical problems besides undiagnosed mild irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), TMJ with no pain but significant jaw click, and a slightly deviated septum. In general I am healthy and while I was more fit when the onset of SEES/VLS began, I am still healthy and actively staying so.

The symptoms are similar as many others here describe: edges, corners, sharp/pointy/thin objects in the view of ONLY my left eye cause a significant physical response and mental anxiety. My right eye has no problems whatsoever. Prior to several weeks ago, my SEES would gradually worsen over the course of the day with significant sensitivity and constant SEES in the evening until I went to bed. Recently, however, it is now plagueing even my sleep and in a much more profound way. I wake up in the middle of the night immediately anxious with strong SEES symptoms. It now impedes falling asleep and is immediately present in the morning as well. I now have SEES at all times of day with significant intensity.

My physical symptoms include much of what has already been said. The anxiety has already been mentioned. A pressure in the back of the eye, similar to the feeling of gently pressing on one's closed eye with their palm is present. A 'crawling', tense, numb feeling is present in the LEFT eyelides, side of nose, forehead, cheek, and more weakly in the side of the head and neck and are only brought on by SEES, when no triggers are present there are no symptoms while I don't think about it. The 'crawling' aspect can manifest as an undulating tensing (as if I was slowly tensing and relaxing muscles in the face), sometimes a vibrating, or a general pressure (also accompanied by the apparent numbness, though these would generally be mutually exclusive sensations).

Resulting from these symptoms is an avoidance of triggering objects, which is not always possible. SEES also induces a feeling/premonition that my eye will be impaled or injured in some way. Covering the eye with a hand, or featureless object controlled by my hand, can abate symptoms only for the duration that they are present. Removal of the blocking hand usually results in complete return of the SEES symptoms at the previous strength or worsening of them. In addition to 'blocking', touching/massaging anywhere on the affected tense area (eyelids, forehead, nose, etc.) can also reduce the SEES symptoms in a similar way, but with immediate return when touching/massaging is gone. Similar to others here, it can be masked by socially acceptable movements such as pinching the bridge of nose, putting a finger on the nose as if in thought, massaging forehead or just resting fist on cheek.

More recently, however, the symptoms have worsened to the degree that others here have reported. Some describe it as 'seeing double' out of the affected eye, I would call it more of a fuzzyness, out of focus or inability to control the eye in both direction and focus. However, at present it seems to be ONLY a feeling, with no outward visibility of a lazy eye; again, only present during a SEES 'attack'.

Controlling it has been mostly futile. The more I focus on the sensation the worse it gets. Attempting to force it into submission or for the sensation to go away only makes it worse. In general the only way I have found to avoid it is through touching the face or those rare moments when I can 'forget' about the problem and be distracted by something else.

I had a similar problem with another part of my body shortly before the SEES started 6 years ago. The thick muscle leading to the thumb in my palm had a weak, tingly, numb sensation and the only way to abate these symptoms was to rub/massage it. This only led to worsening of the symptom. Eventually I managed to 'forget' about the problem and only after doing so for several months did it go away completely, in additino to strengthening the thumb muscle through exercising it. I've noticed a similar trend with SEES that it becomes worse in both the short and long term by thinking/worrying about it. While there is a physical reaction to the SEES feeling, I do believe it is mostly mental in nature.

During particularly bad attacks, the feeling spreads to, as I can best describe it, the mind. My brain itself gets fuzzy, difficult to control, and the rest of my body can tense when dealing with intense periods of SEES. My left hand as well gets some numbness. The worst times for SEES for me are the bus (bus seats), the car (NOT wipers, but the windshield, stearing wheel and the bars on the sides of the windhsield), in a student desk (luckily not a student anymore), and any other common edges/corners from tables or computer monitors or water bottles on my left.

Alcohol does very little to the problem while intoxicated, possibly a small reduction while intoxicated, it may make it worse in the long term but I have not found a strong correlation on the order of weeks. I have not tried any other medication or drugs.

This is honestly the most frustrating long-term problem in my life. It reduces the quality of life so much. I easily lose hours a day of productivity due to dealing with this problem and no solution seems evident from my own experiences or from those of others here. Again, if others are looking for some peer to peer research, symptom comparison or cure comparison please contact me at ***@****.
=
=

I´m from Mexico and I was searching for answers to this kind of sickness or phobia. I´m glad more people have this thing and i´m not the only one haha

I have some problems with corners sometimes, for examples this problems are ALWAYS when I go to church, looking forward the priest bothers me because all the way through I notice a lot of corners, alsa when I watch TV or play videogames I have to cover all with pillows or any other stuff.

My parents think that it is because I don´t use my glasses but the thing is that when I use them, my eyes get even MORE bothered cause of the corners, I use sometimes my glasses.

I´ve read some comments here and I was wondering if someone has found some kind of treatment or solution, something to eliminate this??

Cheers.

=
You might want to read about 'visual looming syndrome' here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_looming_syndrome

It's an hypothesis, an attempt to explain the problem.
=
I just read through a majority of the comments and I'm both shocked and thankful to hear so many people describe word for word what I've been experiencing.

Similar to other people, I first noticed I had this problem around 7 years old, when I couldn't stand the sight of a straw in a cup pointing towards me. Since then pencils, table corners, and other pointy things gave me trouble as well. As I grew older the problem seemed to diminish to the point that it was completely out of mind for many years. I was able to enjoy my teenage years without ever thinking about pointy objects. I would even joke to my brother about this issue that I had as a kid, because I thought it was completely behind me. It would only come up rarely when dining out and seeing straws pointed towards me.

However, a few months ago (I'm now 24) after getting my yearly eye exam and getting new glasses, this issue not only came back, but it's even worse than I ever remember it being. As soon as I put on the new glasses I noticed corners and sharp objects were bothering me even more than ever. Even non-pointy objects that were too close to my eyes were making me uncomfortable. Needless to say I stopped wearing those new glasses but the problem still persists although it has been decreasing over time.

It's funny that many of us have found similar things to help us lessen the problem, like wearing sunglasses, closing one eye, squinting, etc.

Although it seems there still aren't any answers to this issue, I'll be some of the things mentioned in this thread to see if anything works for me. Personally since this was retriggered by a new pair of glasses, I'm inclined to think that the problem is at least partially visual. I noticed a lot of other people said they wear glasses or contacts.

Has anyone experienced Visual Looming/SEES with perfect vision? Does anyone else have astigmatism?

I definitely think the problem is somewhat mental because it persisted even after I stopped wearing the new glasses, but I'm not yet discounting that it's a visual problem because the glasses retriggered it in my situation.
It's been a long time but i want to comment here. From my original post above my SEES started at age 20, now I'm 27 and it's gotten progressively worse. At the beginning I had perfect vision, maybe even better than 20/20 like when I was young. However only in the last year or so I've noticed that my left eye (the only eye which gets SEES) has been fuzzy, out of focus, possibly extremely mildly lazy. Whether these symptoms are related or causal I don't know.
=
I have the same problem Just that im in my teens what helps me the most is long hair but when i dont have long hair I apply pressure and close my eyes thats all i can say from my side. I have also seen a few neurologists which also cannot explain what it is.
Wow it's crazy to know I am not the only one with this problem. I'm 18 years old and I have had this problem since I can remember. Wall corners are the worst!! Look at the edges of things and point sharp items gives me this horrible pain in the middle of my forehead I can't really explain it and it forces me to look away. Sometimes when I go to bed and face the wall I can't do it because I feel that pain in my forehead, it's good to know I'm not the only person & that it's just not me.
It's interesting to read many of you are experiencing pain. Personally I've never experience any pain or headaches from this. For me it's more of a feeling or instinct to look away. There's definitely eye strain, but no real pain for me.

Anyway, my situation is getting better by just getting used to using some old contact lenses I had been using over a year ago. I still get bothered by really close up objects and sharp things, but it's not as bad. I have noticed it's usually worst during the day when I'm driving.
Like everyone else, I am so relieved to find that other people experience this same sensation. It is so hard to explain and I have searched the internet many times to try to find out what it is or if other expereince it.
I get the pressure between my eyes and on my nose. I have noticed like many of you, I have to look away from something, cover my eyes, or put my hand up to my forehead or bridge of nose and put pressure on it to get rid of the feeling

I can remember feeling it as a kid. When my mom would drive me to preschool, I coudln't look out the window on this one street where there were big pine trees lined up right next to the road. Driving past them fast and them being to close to the car gave me this senstation.
I can never put my bed next to a wall or sleep facing a close wall. I can never let someone put makeup on me. Sometimes it bothers me to drive under bridges or underpasses.

I always noticed it got so much worse whenever I am sick or congested. A lot of times when I have a head cold, I cannot even have conversations with people because even someone sitting across the table from me causes that sensation.

Lately it has been getting worse and happening every day. I have started to get that same sensation every single night when I turn the lights off to go to bed. Even when no stimulus is around that causes it, the second I turn off the lights, I get that sensation. I have to either sleep with the lights on, fall asleep with my hand over my face, or take some kind of sleeping pill to just knock me out.

Does anyone else experience this? I would like to hear your feedback. Would you recommend seeing a neurologist or opthamologist? I am at a loss of what to do right now.

Probably see both see the ophthalmologist first
Have you any idea what it is? I suffer from the exact same thing. The way you explained it is perfect. I could never explain it to anyone as they just thought it beyond silly. The reason I came to find this post is because of the bit where it happens when trying to sleep. For me , my worse time is haircuts, having to stop sometimes because of it!
Read this entire post. I have never had a patient complain of this (or visual snow or palinopsia) . This is what they called it:

rpertusio

"It´s called Visual Looming Syndrome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_looming_syndrome "
I understand you situation completely.  Whenever I think about certain things, my eyes start to get some kind of irritation.  Whenever I put my hand on my head, nose or somewhere near my eyes then the irritation goes away.  I am glad I am not the only one who experiences this
=
Also relieved to have found others with the same problem which I have had since childhood. Wonderful to see it articulated and giving it a name.

I have the condition as I am typing now - a discomfort in the area around the top of my nose and between my eyes. I usually just apply pressure to the bridge of my nose to relieve the discomfort or use my right index finger to flick the tip of my right thumb (middle finger over thumb) until the discomfort subsides.

The discomfort is usually brought on by:
-Glasses resting on the bridge of my nose
-Any sharp objects or edges pointing at me
-3D movies with sharp objects pointing towards me
-Approaching a runway (runway edges) on landing (had to give up learning to be a pilot)
-Using a knife/scalpel (had to give up learning to be a surgeon)
-driving in a lane with vehicles stationary on both sides (have to stop sometimes until discomfort subsides)

The condition at its worst invokes a sense of light panic similar to claustrophobia.

Hopefully more studies can be done to identify the underlying causes and proper treatment to ensure people don't have to live with this or have to give up certain careers.

Another sufferer here, am 46 now and have had it since I was a child.  Last night's attempt at sleep forced me to look it up.  Pens, corners of paper/books anything pointing at me, even imagined cause an intense pressure between my eyes, all I can do is try to move away from it whilst putting pressure between eyes and trying to shield them.  I am also needle phobic and am undergoing cut to try and rid me of this.  I also can not look at graph paper or uniform dark lines.  I also tend to feel very sick and get very irritated at strobes or strobe like effects(passing a row of trees with sun behind them, this causes a flickering).  I can do the magic eye images but again makes me feel that my head hurts.  This all is worse when I'm tired.  My Mum was the same.
=
I have the exact same thing and I'm 14 and I've had this since I was 9. I tried explaining it to my parents but they dont know what it is. I thought it was just me who was experiencing this and was upset but Im glad that it is a real thing and not just my eyes being annoying
I have the same thing as well,. I think it is time that I research this and post a paper on this story to the medical society. ;).  Sorry to anyone else that has to deal with this strange but common annoyance.
=
John Hagan did you write your paper? I am sad this forum appears to have been discontinued. It is mid 2017 and people are still suffering. My daughter-in-law and granddaughter suffer from this fear of pointy and or sharp items also straws pointing toward them. I hope this forum would start up again,
Not sure which paper you are talking about.   MedHelp.org discontinued the "expert" forum but the eye forum is alive and well. This is not a common problem at all. with the pointy fears
Hi guys, I have had this problem for years. I am so relieved to know its not only me, I am so happy to find this. Whenever I see sharp objects or corners it bothers me. It affects my life and im sick of it. Bright lights, car dasbords with many bottons it all makes me feel discomfort and rub my eyes. Hope we can find a solution to this problem as it would be a life changer.
So this is actually a syndrome called, visual looming eye syndrome and what happens is that whenever your brain looks at a pointy or sharp object, your eyes will feel the object as if it were extremly up close to your eyes to were you think it will poke your eye, i dont know if there is a treatment though but it gets worse when you are tired, the syndrome also worsens if you have night blindness.
I also seem to have the same condition.
Symptoms:
Discomfort/irritation when looking at sharp corners, sharp edges or rough surfaces.
Examples:
Table edges, trunk of a tree, pen lid, circuit board etc.
Discomfort occurs from nasion to tip of nose.
Management:
Looking away or putting hand over nose.
I have this issue as well. I am 58 and I can't remember a time that I wasn't bothered by sharp objects. Going to the dentist is terrifying because of the cleaning tools.  I can't look at straws.  If someone has a pencil behind their ear conversation is nearly impossible for me.  I would love to try any treatments that could help.
I tried researching for treatments but their are none as of now.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to treat this.
   Hey, I bookmarked this article years ago & am just looking back into it.  My issue is a little different - it's not so much pointy things that bother my eyes, more like sharp angles - corner of a ceiling, corner of a computer where I X out a screen, too many bars on a birdcage sort of thing.  It's generalized at the bridge of my nose / behind my eyes.  My brother remembers having the pointy issue.  After trial & error, I know why this happens to me & my brother - for us it's a side effect of antidepressants.  Pain pills don't help, the one migraine med I tried didn't help - Klonopin makes this go away for me.  It's not something people like to prescribe much anymore, but my dad is a psychiatrist so we tried it.
   I started on antidepressants in 3rd grade for obsessive compulsive disorder, and need them for depression.  Before ever taking Klonopin, I'd been on and off different antidepressants to find the best one.  Every time I went off one, the weird eye discomfort would go away.
   I've recently been trying to find something else - benzos are very stigmatized.  I started on Klonopin when I was 18 and I'm 34 now.  I've been tapering down the Klonopin to see if I can do a lower dose without the eye craziness, but it's coming back.  I've also notices twinges of OCD when angles are bothering me.
   The only other thing I've found that has given *some* comfort is sudafed with pseudoephedrine.  Sounds weird, but this eye thing is weird too.  If anyone wants to talk more, I'm checking the boxes to be notified of new activity on this / joining the community.
   I did go to a neurologist recently, but they tried to tell me it was neck related and wanted me to do physical therapy (I know for me it's a side effect, I may try a new neurologist, that seems ridiculous to me).  People have tried to blame this on lifestyle, exercise, eating healthy, drinking, smoking - I never did anything bad in grade school, so I believe I've ruled all of that out!
   Anyone else on an antidepressant or have any OCD?
~*~*~ Aria ~*~*~
This is interesting (found it reading up) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_looming_syndrome  ......I do have an astigmatism set at a strange angle in one eye, and a little bit of an astigmatism in the other eye.  According to my eye doctor, the nerves in my eyes look perfectly healthy.  There are only certain brands of toric contact lenses for an astigmatism at the angle mine is at (I wear glasses, but they drive me crazy).  Has anyone been to a Neuro-ophthalmologist?    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuro-ophthalmology        .....seems like something to try.
I'm sure you're not all just on antidepressants  :)
Sorry, never had a patient complain of this and have no experience with it at all.
Hello Aria,
My 13 yr old son has recently been complaining of these symptoms and is taking Lexapro for anxiety.  I would be interested in learning more about your experience.
=
I sent you a ridiculously long message  :)   If anyone else would like more info. from me, I'd be happy to send you one too.
=
Small update - I ended up going to a neurologist & having a brain MRI (it came out with nooo issues!).  I didn't originally go for eye reasons - I was having really horrible muscle pain in my neck & shoulders, which eventually lead to tingling in my hands/arms (plus my mom has MS, so I wanted to rule that out).  The neurologist had no suggestions (I figured, but I didn't know if there was maybe some sort of migraine med or something to try *shrugs*).  His advice to me was to stick with the meds I'm on if they're working.  He also said that if I wanted to really get my eyes checked out, I should go to a neuro ophthalmologist (at this point, I'm not planning on it).  I started a biologic for plaque psoriasis, thinking it would just help my skin - it turns out it got rid of all of the neck & shoulder tightness as well.  So I likely have psoriatic arthritis (which causes inflammation).  I'm adding this because the wiki page says this is a neurological & muscular thing.  My eyes are no different, but it just had me thinking that there are a lot of things that can cause inflammation on your face, even if you're not really aware that it's happening.
Thanks for the update and I'm happy you are feeling better.
Hi, I have the same issue and don't take any medication whatsoever. I find issues with looking at hooks in a shop, pens in peoples hands, bugs on the car windscreen, focusing on telephone cords (coiled type on an old style phone), I also have difficulty focusing on black chalk boards with white chalk writing and struggle with focusing on bright lights at night time. I'm 32 and would say i've had this issue since i was a teenager, lately i feel it's getting worse and becoming more noticeable to people who aren't aware of my "strange eye thing". I probably could do with wearing glasses but keep putting it off. Has anyone found this helps? I know i have a mild astigmatism in one eye so thinking this could be the issue.
Hey there, so sorry to hear you have this too!  It seems like there are quite a few possible causes to this issue.  Do you ever wear contacts?  I'm nearsighted.  I have an astigmatism (apparently at an odd angle) in one eye & a little bit of one in the other.  I've only really started wearing contacts / glasses for the past 2 years.  I started wearing one regular contact and one toric one for the astigmatism - was ehh, okay.  I went to another eye doctor who pointed out that - since my astigmatism is at the odd angle - I only had a few choices of contacts (so...conflicting information).  I ended up not doing well with contacts & switched to glasses.  I've found that sometimes, when weird eye thing is bothering me, I feel better taking the glasses off for a while.  That might be because I stare at computers, numbers, & spreadsheets all day though.  Aside from my eyes, I get a weird feeling around the bridge of my nose, so I prefer metal glasses & don't have them too tight around my nose.  Just a thought, but if you can wear contacts instead of glasses, it might be a better idea?  This wiki page is probably the most detailed information (not a lot) - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_looming_syndrome    - but it does mention astigmatism as a possibility.  I'd say going to an ophthalmologist wouldn't hurt - it could help, either way you say you've been putting it off  :)   My eye doctor looked at the nerves in my eyes & said they seemed fine, that was good to hear.  I do think my issue is antidepressant-related, so I can't really say that glasses helped - but they could very well help you.  That wiki site says this is a "neurological and muscular state" & that things like being tired, drinking - I guess that might affect the muscles.  I have horrible allergies, so sometimes I take sudafed (with pseudoephedrine) - it seems to loosen up the muscles & give some relief.  Maybe not a long-term solution, but it's a cheap thing to try (I am NOT a doctor!).  Hope you keep us all updated.  The ophthalmologist on this thread, John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAO, will hopefully chime in.
According to me, you must go to Eyecare Specialist as soon as possible. Then doctors will suggest you what you can do or which type of medicines you will take. Please wash your eye daily & contact eyecare enter which near by you.
Its been a couple of years since I posted here. I think I want to try to pursue fixing this Visual Looming Syndrome again. I noticed a few people on here mentioned allergies being the cause. I used to be on an allergy pill and nasal spray, and as far as I remember, my symptoms were relieved temporarily. I have seasonal allergies which cause intense sneezing (worse in the spring and summer months). Also nasal dryness which causes me to sniff, sometimes with pain, leaving me with tenderness inside my nostrils. I do notice a temporary intensity of symptoms after a dry sniff. I was also recently diagnosed with a deviated septum. I think I may look into getting back on allergy pills and maybe getting my septum realigned.

My symptoms recently got worse when I began taking a pill called Sertaline for anxiety. I stopped taking the pill and am beginning to see my symptoms return to less intensity. There are a few pills which have increased the severity of my symptoms.

Does anyone else here have allergies which cause dry nostrils?
Another mention: My left eye has been having muscle spasms on the upper eyelid for about a month. It isn't constant, but it is frequent.
=
Hello

Having a first experience with this at just under 10 years old really took me by surprise too. In 20012 or 13 was the first time I ever found a person on the internet who had a similar thing... I am 31. I have had problems with windshield wipers, store shelves, white lights at night, passing trees on the road -you name it.

I am generally active but only the last few years. I think it helps but that may be obvious! My Right eye is weaker than the left. I also have had some back pain on the right side and muscle tension down the right side which I think may be related. I I have a few questions from reading the forum if people can tell me their experience!

Has anyone seen symptoms improve and what has done it?

Has anyone done any of the left eye, right eye dominance tests? If some people can do them with the eye they have to close when they feel the pain and cover the other eye I really wanna know how they feel? they are easy to find in app stores. anyones experience would be nice to hear.

Also has anyone had someone do a pen test to see how each eye responds to movement and tracking, and if its smooth? together both eyes and apart?

-My right eye is harder to control watching the pen. it is less smooth. when i get better at that the pain comes less for me.

Does anyone here meditate or do yoga and do they feel it helps? I do!

if anyone can respond it would be really awesome. thanks
=
Dr. Hagan what is (=)?
It means I've read the question but don't have any response to make. This is not something I have any experience with. I have never had a patient come in with the complaints that this discussion thread is making. Sorry just nothing to add.
Dr Hagan

Could this be a kind of Binocular Vision Disfunction causing headaches and dizziness? Possibly could be from both eyes not tracking together and having trouble telling the brain about bright, pointy, or moving objects?
I have said many times I don't have a problem with saying "I don't know" when I have no experience or don't have a clue about something. I have never had a patient come in with these complaints so I have nothing to draw on. If you want to push it to the limits then see a neuro-ophthalmologist at a well known, respected medical center.
According to me, your this type of problem indicate the "fear of pointy objects hitting the eye", "weird sensation behind the eyes", "difficulty in focusing on objects nearby, which are moving and are not operated by the observer, such as windscreen wipers or a pencil someone else is holding".