Eye Care Community
22k Members

amblyopia

My two kids, aged 4 and 3 are diagnosed with astigmatism. Elder son's Auto Refraction  is +1.00-2.00 and +0.25-1.75. And his Rx is +0.50-2.00 and +0.25-1.50. Younger ones's Auto refraction is +1.25-2.75 and +1.00-2.25 and Rx is +1.00-2.25 and +1.00-2.25. Optometrist  told elder kid has amblyopia too.  Why is Rx is different than Auto Refraction  and Retinoscopy measures? The optometrist got mad when we asked if Pediatric opthamologist is needed for kids. do we need to see a ophthamologist or just using glasses will be enough?
any suggestion or help in this matter is highly appreciated.

An auto refraction is just a starting point.  Your children should see a pediatric ophthalmologist for treatment of the amblyopia.  Amblyopia treatment is best done at an early age.  Treatment is not as good after age 5.  This a visual system development (neurological) problem.

Dr. O.
Thank you very much.
Thank you  Dr.  O,
I will try and arrange an appointment with ped. opt