crystalens

PRIOR TO SURGERY I WENT TO GET A PRESCRIPTION GLASSES FOR NEAR AND FAR BECAUSE I WAS ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GLASSES TO READ OR DO CLOSE UP WORK. THE SCRIPT GLASSES WERE FINE. I WENT FOR A CHECKUP AND MY CATARACTS GOT WORSE. I WAS EXPLAINED CRYSTALENS AND RESTOR. I WAS RECOMMENDED THE CRYSTALENS. WAS TOLD I WOULD NOT HAVE TO WHERE GLASSES AGAIN. I HAD THE SURGERY DONE 03/30/11 AND THE SECOND ONE 04/13/11/ I STILL CANNOT READ WITHOUT CHEATERS. ON 07/15/11  AND 07/29/11 I HAD THE YAG PROCEDURE DONE  I WAS TOLD I WOULD PROBABLY HAVE TO WEAR G;***** FOR CLOSE VISION. I SPENT $4600.00 FOR THE LENS AND I COULD HAVE BOUGHT A PAIR OF PRESCRIPTION GLASSES FOR $400.00. I HAD THE SURGERY FOR THE CATARACTS AND THE LENS SO I WOULD NOT HAVE TO LOOK FOR GLASSES FOR CLOSE UP.
HAVE YOU HAD OTHER PROBLEMS WITH THIS LENS OR ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? THANK YOU
Use the search feature and archvies. There are scores of detailed postings about people with  your exact problem.  Start by getting a second opinion from a different surgeon.

JCH MD
Many people have been very disappointed with Crystalens, as I have been. My story is the same as yours, (except I also, sadly, had complications from surgery and developed retina problems as well).
You could have had incorrect calculations in the choice of the IOL. This has sometimes happened. However, if you had the Yag..you most certainly had a build-up of cells behind the IOL. They call this posterior capsule opacification. If it is the fibrous type, very likely the same build-up encrusted the hinges of the crystalens so that they do not flex. I know this for a fact after a lengthy follow up with the people at Bausch and Lomb. However, they view this as just your bad luck. However, if your doctor did not properly "polish" the capsule as is essential for placement of a moveable IOL as the instruction provided by Bausch and Lomb clearly states, and you can somehow know this for sure, then perhaps you can convince your doctor to refund your money. My doctor did. Cleaning the gunk after the lens is in place can be done, but is risky.)
I feel so sorry for you. I know how you feel. You had such hopes... and you spent so much money. Let me know if I can help.
-

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community