Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

crystalens

PRIOR TO SURGERY I WENT TO GET A PRESCRIPTION GLASSES FOR NEAR AND FAR BECAUSE I WAS ALWAYS LOOKING FOR GLASSES TO READ OR DO CLOSE UP WORK. THE SCRIPT GLASSES WERE FINE. I WENT FOR A CHECKUP AND MY CATARACTS GOT WORSE. I WAS EXPLAINED CRYSTALENS AND RESTOR. I WAS RECOMMENDED THE CRYSTALENS. WAS TOLD I WOULD NOT HAVE TO WHERE GLASSES AGAIN. I HAD THE SURGERY DONE 03/30/11 AND THE SECOND ONE 04/13/11/ I STILL CANNOT READ WITHOUT CHEATERS. ON 07/15/11  AND 07/29/11 I HAD THE YAG PROCEDURE DONE  I WAS TOLD I WOULD PROBABLY HAVE TO WEAR G;***** FOR CLOSE VISION. I SPENT $4600.00 FOR THE LENS AND I COULD HAVE BOUGHT A PAIR OF PRESCRIPTION GLASSES FOR $400.00. I HAD THE SURGERY FOR THE CATARACTS AND THE LENS SO I WOULD NOT HAVE TO LOOK FOR GLASSES FOR CLOSE UP.
HAVE YOU HAD OTHER PROBLEMS WITH THIS LENS OR ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? THANK YOU
3 Responses
233488 tn?1310693103
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Use the search feature and archvies. There are scores of detailed postings about people with  your exact problem.  Start by getting a second opinion from a different surgeon.

JCH MD
Many people have been very disappointed with Crystalens, as I have been. My story is the same as yours, (except I also, sadly, had complications from surgery and developed retina problems as well).
You could have had incorrect calculations in the choice of the IOL. This has sometimes happened. However, if you had the Yag..you most certainly had a build-up of cells behind the IOL. They call this posterior capsule opacification. If it is the fibrous type, very likely the same build-up encrusted the hinges of the crystalens so that they do not flex. I know this for a fact after a lengthy follow up with the people at Bausch and Lomb. However, they view this as just your bad luck. However, if your doctor did not properly "polish" the capsule as is essential for placement of a moveable IOL as the instruction provided by Bausch and Lomb clearly states, and you can somehow know this for sure, then perhaps you can convince your doctor to refund your money. My doctor did. Cleaning the gunk after the lens is in place can be done, but is risky.)
I feel so sorry for you. I know how you feel. You had such hopes... and you spent so much money. Let me know if I can help.
233488 tn?1310693103
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
-
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Eye Care Community

Top General Health Answerers
177275 tn?1511755244
Kansas City, MO
Grand Prairie, TX
San Diego, CA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.